Journal Entry #7

21.4.56

I've seen things today that honestly, I never thought I'd see. So much death in one room, I didn't think it was possible.

They pulled all of the victims of the air poisoning out of the Shelter today while I was recovering at the hospital. They had them all in the lobby until they started to run out of space. I saw them...

Apparently, these people have been dead for two days, counting today, and no one noticed. I'll admit, Fridays are always slow, and Saturday's you hardly see anyone, but you'd think someone would know. These people had been dead in their beds for over 24 hours. Then again, I guess it's hard to smell that kind of stench when all you breathe is bottled air. 

Still.

Thankfully, the ground floor east wing stayed safe. They said the poison initially contaminated the reservoir tank, which meant anyone that went to sleep the night it was released died in their sleep unless they were using their air tank oxygen. The few like me who survived by chance. Those people would've been safe so long as they didn't try to refill the next day. I think they said some of them survived, but since that air was contaminated, it killed off a few more. It nearly killed me too. 

The sleeping masks (usually known as night masks) for the East wing ground floor were all out, though, because one of the pipes busted so they shut it down. That's a good eighth of the population here, so that might also be why no one noticed. I mean, I didn't. Everyone was at work, and of course, they all live on that floor with the exception of a few. I guess not many of them refilled the next day either, which is good. 

Not to mention that a few richer folks don't live in the Shelter, like Kirsi's parents, so many of them were safe too. Not all, though, since some feed off that reservoir instead of having their own for cost purposes.

I'm glad Kirsi's house has its own.

Sorry for all the information, I just can't quite comprehend this and it's easier to tally who might have survived and why than process the deaths. 

I don't know how to feel about what I saw either...so many body bags. 

Will they call someone in? The government? I hope they fix it soon. I don't know how long Kirsi's family's air can last, or how long my air tanks will last. I don't know where I can or can't go for clean air.

It's really disorienting and scary. No, it's terrifying.

But what's worse, I don't know who could've or would've done this.

Note: I imagine school will be off for a bit since a lot of the teachers are probably...dead...and the students too. So, this sounds morbid and bad, but I probably won't ever have to turn in this project. Even so, I think I'm going to keep at it. For a new reason now. Because if nothing else, if we all die or something, I need there to be something explaining what happened. Something that might someday go down in history as a warning, a documentary, I don't know.

If nothing else, though, let it serve as an explanation, something history too often lacks.

I always did want my writing to make a difference...just not like this.

just not like this