15

Texts between Newt and Thomas

Newt
Hey Tommy
Sorry for being weird yesterday

Tommy 🌻
It's fine Newt
If you don't want to talk to me, you don't have to

Newt
I do want to talk to you sweetheart
It's just difficult for me to talk with people like that
Are you in a quiet room?

Tommy 🌻
Yeah, quiet enough
Just my bedroom
Why?

-----
Newt's point of view

Before I knew what I was doing, my finger was pressing the 'facetime' button and I was looking at my face on my phone screen. While it rang, I went to my kitchen and grabbed a bottle of whiskey from the alcohol cabinet. After a few rings, my face shrunk into the little box in the corner and Tommy's face filled my screen.
"Hey gorgeous"
"Hey Newt, are you okay?"
"Yeah, I'm fine." My hands slightly shook as I talked. I can't deal with the idea that at any moment noises could start.
"Newt, your screen's shaking. Don't lie to me."
I rested my phone against my kitchen counter and intertwined my fingers together, rubbing my thumb harshly on my palm.
"Give me one second." I got up and walked out of view of my phone, taking a large swig from the  bottle of whiskey and sat down, smiling at Tommy reassuringly.
"I promise, I'm fine." I grabbed the bottle and took another swig, this time in view of my phone.
"Newt, if you're fine, why are you drinking? I don't understand why you're so nervous. We talk all the time, this isn't any different. What's wrong?"
"It's nothing Thomas." I shouted down the phone and hung up before he could protest. Why am I so bloody stupid? Stop being a little bitch. Call him back.
I pressed the call button again and this time I had the alcohol to calm my nerves. 3 swigs and he answers. "I'm so sorry Tommy. I just don't want you to think I'm weird."
"It's a little late for that Newt. Just tell me what's going on."
I lifted the bottle to my lips again, feeling braver than before "I have misophonia. It's this dumb thing that was caused by this dumb thing but if someone is eating or typing or a dog is barking then I get really angry or anxious or panicky or whatever and I was scared to tell you because that's so bloody dumb like that's so stupid and I don't know like I didn't want to talk to you over call because I was scared you would like type or something without knowing and I didn't want to get mad at you or something and I'm sorry for going off before but yeah sooo that's it."
Thomas stayed quiet for a moment and I began panicking a little, but nowhere near as much as before, the alcohol quite clearly beginning to have an effect. "Is that why you wear headphones in your Instagram pictures a lot?"
"Yeah, whenever I'm in a situation I know some of the noises might happen, I take my headphones with me. I'm sorry for not telling you, it just seemed kind of stupid."
"It's not stupid Newt and I promise I'll avoid those noises whenever we talk."
I smiled at him gratefully and dipped my eyes slightly to the alcohol, putting it back on the counter. "Didn't realise we were going to be talking again Tommy?" I smirked at him and his face heated to a beautiful pink shade.
"Wow Tommy sounds so much hotter in your voice" Tommy said under his breath and I started laughing and I saw his cheeks turning to a deep red. "Did I say that outloud?"
I nodded and smiled, enjoying this moment. Tommy is one of the greatest friends I have at the moment and I couldn't imagine going back to not talking to him. He's the sweetest and he's even sweeter in real life it seems.
Tommy and I talked on facetime for hours, only hanging up as he had 'track practice' to get to. When we hung up, I put on my vibes playlist and lay in bed, trying my best to relive my facetime with Tommy. I'm desperate to see him. Only 5 months.