Chapter 7

The wind blows through the street as Evelyn closes the shop door, Henrietta is in animated discussion with Lucile as they walk towards the carriage. The street is fairly busy and many people walk past her as she follows them, a few meters behind. 

"Lady Lucile!." 

A woman in a light green dress calls from across the street. Lucile and Henrietta both spin around to face the woman as she approaches with a younger woman but it's the man she is with that makes Evelyn's heart speed up. His tousled ginger hair and crooked nose make him distinctly recognisable. The woman has stopped in front of Lucile with her two children and she talks quickly.

 Evelyn stays a few meters away, unsure whether to join the conversation. She decides that to join them of her own accord is better than being spotted standing awkwardly in the middle of the street with nowhere to run. 

"And Petunia is expecting several offers this..." The woman trails off as Evelyn joins them. Her pleasantness vanishes and she gasps. 

"Lady Evelyn, I mean Miss Wright." The woman says shocked but her eyes flash in malicious delight. "It has been an age." 

"Lady Edith." Evelyn curtsies, "It has been awhile." 

"I'd almost forgotten about you," Edith says, her lip curling, she wraps an arm around her daughter. "Have you met Petunia?"

The young girl smiles delicately and smiles. She's a pretty creature with a very slim figure, one that Henrietta is most certainly jealous of. 

"I haven't had the pleasure," Evelyn says lightly. 

"You remember my son, Fredrick," Edith says, gesturing to him. 

"Of course." Evelyn curtsies to the man who bows his head and smiles. 

"How are you, Miss Wright?" He asks politely. 

"Well thank you." She replies. Henrietta coughs delicately and beams at him. 

"This is my cousin..." Evelyn begins. 

"Lady Henrietta Buxley." Henrietta boasts as she curtsies shallowly. 

Edith looks intrigued at the eager way Henrietta looks from her son to her. 

"Both my nieces are staying with me for the season," Lucile explains. "And my nephew William." 

"How lovely," Edith says with a sugar sweet smile. 

"It is my first time in London," Henrietta says. Petunia gasps as does her mother. 

"Then I insist that you come to our party tonight, it's a small affair but everyone will be there," she says. 

"Oh, how delightful." Henrietta claps her hands in joy, "Can we aunt? Can we?" 

Lucile looks from Henrietta's eager expression to Edith's charming smile. "We'd be delighted to come." 

"Excellent," Edith says and Henrietta squeals with excitement. Evelyn feels a sense of foreboding wash over. 

"Aunt, there's a bookshop around here somewhere, William asked me to pick a book up for him." She says, looking around. "May I be excused?" 

Lucile nods, but Henrietta regards her suspiciously. 

"It is pleasure to see you again Miss Wright," Edith says, emphasising her lack of title. Evelyn offers her no reply but curtsies. 

"I'll accompany you," Fredrick says. Evelyn doesn't reply but walks away and crosses the road.