Chapter 20

The morning saw Henrietta reluctantly dressing to accompany Evelyn despite her pure delight the night before upon the news that they would be attending Hardwick Manor. After much deliberation and fussing Evelyn and Henrietta left 104 at around 10 and headed into the very heart of town. The clouds are hanging low in the sky and the sun lingers out of sight. Evelyn felt a shift in the air yesterday after her talk with Blackmoore. Although he endeavoured to scare her away from pursuing the truth behind his dark past, her head is overruling her heart on this occasion. 

"What's Edward like?" Henrietta quizzes her cousin as they travel through town. Evelyn tilts her head and considers her reply. 

"I have never found fault with his character." She lies.

"And he is unmarried?" Henrietta presses, leaning forward in her new frilly peach day dress. 

"As far as I am aware," Evelyn says.

"I am surprised you have so many rich friends, I would have renounced knowing you the minute you lost everything." Her cousin says primly. 

Evelyn purses her lips but doesn't respond. Bringing Henrietta is a risk that she has been forced to take, she hopes that her cousin's ignorance and fascination with the rich will prevent her from discovering the real reason behind this impromptu house call. 

The carriage stops in a less busy street than the ones they have passed, tall houses with light grey stone and high open windows elude faded grandeur. 

"This is his house?" Henrietta asks, stepping down and running her eyes from the polished door in the pale frame to the top chimney. 

"I believe so," Evelyn says, stepping down to her side. An unsettling feeling swirls around in her stomach. She walks up the steps and raps lightly on the door.  She waits with bated breath, Henrietta seems reluctant to join her. Evelyn taps her foot on the ground, she waits, listening for any sound within. Henrietta frowns and crosses her arms. 

"What's taking so long?" She asks impatiently. 

"I..." Evelyn begins but the door swings open and a man with thick eyebrows, a sharp chin and pointed moustache. A cup of tea sits in his right hand while his eyes roam up the woman standing on the doorstep and over the lady hovering behind her. 

"May I help you?" He asks, taking a sip of tea. 

"I am here to see Edward?" Evelyn says unsure, hoping the man in front of her is not that man. 

"I am Anthony Tremontane." He says, "My brother is busy I am afraid."

"Your brother is a friend of mine, he's asked to see me." She lies smoothly. He gives her a look of disbelief and his eyes fall on Henrietta. 

"She's my cousin." Evelyn smiles polietly and looks expectantly inside. Anthony glances back to her before nodding, standing back and allowing them into the house. He shuts the door and says for the two cousins to follow him through the carpeted hallway. As they walk, Evelyn notices that there are no servants or maids around and that a thick layer of dust rests upon the surfaces. Anthony stops at a door, he raps smartly and pokes his head around it. 

"Brother." He says. "A friend for you." He steps back and lets Evelyn slip into the room. She walks in confidently with her head held high. The room is small but what catches her eye is the number of animal heads the adown the walls, she wrinkles her nose in distaste. The man behind the desk in the corner of the room moves from his chair to face his visitors. His little eyes roam over her but his expression hints at no surprise or confusion. 

"Edward, it is has been so long." She says quickly. moving towards him. Edward smiles, his face isn't as thin as his brothers and the lack of facial hair makes him more appealing to the eye however he exudes an air of arrogance and smarminess.