Chapter 26

Evelyn spends the rest of the day with her aunt planning the move of her belongings and clothes to 104. Henrietta has cheered up from the morning and is actually helping Lucile to plan days out and events for the next week. She keeps a bright smile on her face which is off-putting particularly when she complements a confused Juliet on her hair. The whole house edges around the oddly happy girl, waiting for her to crack and revert back to being a brat but she doesn't, even at dinner when William shows up and snaps at her, she simply apologises and moves to her seat.

The family eat their way through a delicious meat and potato pie and the conversation is light and warm despite William only grunting in response when addressed. Evelyn can't quite believe her fortune in the current situation, she has a future to look forward to, a future without the stress of her cousin and brother. It may only be for a few months but it enough to keep a smile on her face.

"And then he asked me to dance again." Henrietta tells Lucile, "I couldn't quite believe it, I know it could be classed as improper but I couldn't say no."

"He is a very handsome gentleman is he not?" Lucile asks.

"Yes," Henrietta says emphatically. "He..."

"Excuse me, ma'am." Juliet appears in the doorway, "But there is a man that has been asked to deliver a letter directly to Mr Wright."

Everyone's eyes swing directly to William.

"He's insistent that he delivers it into his hand." She says, fidgeting on the spot.

Lucile looks nervous but she nods to bring him in.

Juliet curtseys and disappears to fetch the mysterious stranger. No one says a word, Evelyn grips the folds of her dress under the table to keep control of her calm exterior. She would never assume that any contact of her brothers would come simply as a courteous act.

The man that enters behind Juliet is dressed in a long black trench coat and his face is rough and rugged. He bows to everyone but says nothing. He strides over to William and produces a thick letter from the folds of his coat. He places the letter into William's shaking hand.

"With the Crown Courts best wishes to your friends and family." The man says, he waits for William to acknowledge him or the letter but he doesn't.

"Thank you," Lucile says after a minute of awkward silence. The man gives another bow and then he turns on his heel and leaves. They hear the door open and then shut, Evelyn lets out a breath she didn't realise she had been holding in.

William stares at the letter in his hand but makes no move to open it. Around the table no one speaks, even Henrietta seems to understand that now is the time to be silent.

"Open it then darling." Lucile finally says. William shakes his head fervently.

"I can't," He whispers.

"Why not?" Evelyn asks harshly. She fears she knows what's stopping him. He glares at her and chucks the letter across the table, it lands in front of her.

"You open it." He says, fumes at her. She looks at him with an unreadable expression but she picks up the thick paper and turns it over. Juliet appears at her shoulder with a letter knife that Evelyn slides neatly across the top. She unfolds the letter and scans it. Her blood freezes in her veins and then rushes to her head. It's her turn for her hands to shake.

"You have been requested to become a supporting prosecutor on Lady Tremontane's murder trial." She chokes out. The table explodes in a multitude of exclamations.

"Are you sure?" William asks, standing up. "I thought I was being expelled!"

"What?" Lucile cries.