XVI. Of fate

"Isn't home that way?" Mona pointed to the opposite direction when the grinning Hugo turned a left on Crimson Avenue.

The day was ending soon as the marvelous shade of red kissed the purple silhouette that dreaded to coat the sky.

"You didn't think the surprise was over did you?" he responded with a grin plastered on his face.

"Hmmm, two surprises a day? Did I win the lottery?" she playfully responded as she pinched the tip of his nose. He let out a laugh, lacing his fingers with her as he drew it close to his lips.

"Wait and see amore." he was certain she would love what he had in store for her.

15 minutes passed and they reached their destination.

Mona's eye shone like that of a diamond hit by the ray of sunshine. Giddy at the scene in front of her.

The carousel rolling, the ferris wheel going up and down along with all the scary rides. Prizes waiting to be earned. Horror booth with screaming people exiting the building.

"Amusement park!" she exclaimed in a childlike manner as she turned to him. He pat her head, leading her inside.

They bought tickets to every ride in the park. Starting with the carousel.

"Let's go there!" She pointed towards the horror house to which Hugo responded with a nod.

"Up for a little mischief?" she added with a wicked laugh which earned a chuckle from him.

"You, are up to no good amore but I'm in." he agreed as he bought a gore mask from the vendors outside.

They were laughing non-stop instead of screaming their way out of the establishment. Leaving a wake of startled mascots and couples along the way.

"Just like old times." Mona sighed, a stray hair fell to her face as she removed her mask.

Noticing it, Hugo tucked the strand to her ears drawing her closer to him.

"Same old. Same old." he agreed, planting a kiss on her forehead. She beamed at him as their fingers intertwined towards the shooting booths.

"I want the big panda Mister." Mona pointed to the main prize of the booth as she took the toy gun and aimed it at the target.

He was puzzled by Mona choosing the life sized Panda over the elephant since Hugo knew Mona's obssession for elephant stuff toys.

"She mustve had a change of heart." he thought so he just kept mum about it.

"You got the main prize amore, the toy is a major downgrade." he pointed to himself, feigning disappointment with his arms crossed making Mona roll her eyes at his arrogance.

"You're so full of yourself Mr. Castiglione." she mocked him as she nudged the edge of her gun at his side to which he faked a whimper. He defeatedly laughed and offered to do it himself.

"Why don't you let me get that for you." he offered but was amazed by the determination evident in her steel gray orbs.

"Naaahhh, you're always getting me stuff. This time let me do that for you." she responded as she caressed his cheeks. Intently turning all her focus on the prize she wanted.

He was taken aback by the sentiment and remembered that he always gets the panda toys when he was younger.

He smiled at the thought, letting that simple moment sink in his memory.

Her smile, determination and free spirit at the moment. He'll surely engrave it to his memory to last him a lifetime.

Mona took his silence as a sign of doubt that she would get the prize so she assured him.