XXV. End

Marie looked on the sidelines as the medics buzzed around the scene, machineries clearing the area to find survivors on the third day of their search.

Three agonizing days of waiting for a miracle to happen.

Death toll already reached 30 while casualties in count amounted to 41. Injuries ranged from mild laceration to burnt based on how far they are from the impact of the explosion.

Her eyes followed every stretchers that passed, intently keeping an eye out for her friends.

She stared at her wounded hands, an aftermath of recklessly digging the rubbles of what remains of Casa Castiglione. She winced when she pressed it together, the much needed pain shot her awake since her eyes threatened to clamp shut from not having enough sleep for the past few nights.

It was when she felt a hand on her shoulder. When she turned to look she saw the man that she once visited with Mona.

Xavier Cross

"You're awake." she raked her eyes at the figure in front of her.

"And you're on the verge of getting knocked out." he commented at her ruly state, unfazed by how a woman he has never met knew him.

"Guess I was too late to warn Shawn." the man huffed. His sight focused on the scene in front of him when a familiar form emerge from the rubbles.

"Shawn!" Marie's voice boomed as she dashed towards the medics loading him towards a stretcher.

"You look terrible." Shawn said in a whisper barely keeping himself awake.

"I could say the same to you idiot!" she replied, tears free falling in relief as she trailed behind the medics on their way to the ambulance when she felt her body numb and her vision turned to black.

The next thing she knew was that she was loaded on the same ambulance as Shawn with EMT's attending to their needs on the way to the hospital.

The steady rising of his chest eased her worries as she linked her hands to his. Thankful for the warmth it emits.

"Guess miracles do exist." she mused as she let sleep engulf her.

====================================

Marie checked her wristwatch to see she was 3 minutes early for her appointment with Shawn at four.

Shawn being the workaholic he was, immediately summoned Marie after being discharged from the hospital. She couldn't blame the man, the sooner they get done with reports the better especially now that Mona and Hugo are still yet to be found.

When she entered the room she saw Xavier with Shawn already inside making her rush inside to greet them.

"I haven't introduced you. Xavier this is Marie, an anchor in Abx and a friend of mine." the emphasis on "mine" not escaping her notice when she offered her hand to Xavier.

"Nice to officially meet you officer." she cordially greeted, doing her best to not mind the tug of her heartstrings at the way Shawn had introduced her.

Xavier who noticed the cause of her cheeks burning broke into a grin before he replied a short "Likewise."

Shawn cleared his throat adding an agitated "I need to analyze the footage." that made Marie hustle. She plugged the flashdrive which contained the recording of their operation into his laptop for better viewing.

"The stream was cut there then an explosion followed." Marie said at the end of the video as she observed the shock register in their faces.

"Why she hit me that time made me think she was feigning innocence all along but hearing her talk to me while I was in coma confused me. She was unaware of what she did. This clears everything but it also means she only targets those who mean harm." Xavier deduced after a while.