fourteen

The two continued to stare at the ceiling

The two continued to stare at the ceiling. Niya actually found it quite comforting and interesting. She had nothing better to do anyway.

"How are you feeling?" she softly asked.

"How do you think I'm feeling?" Theseus retorted.

"I'm sorry."

"It's all right."

The two fell into silence once more. There were only three sounds in the room; their breathing, the occasional bedsheets rustling, and the ticking of the clock in the room.

"Your mother and Newt must be wondering what we're doing. I'm sure she's almost done with dinner. Don't you think we should help set the table?" Niya asked.

Theseus hummed. "Newt's most likely all ready on it. He's shy and stutters, but he listens to Mum and he knows what to do when he comes back home. It's been that way since childhood."

Niya smiled nostalgically. "Yes, I remember. He set the table, but you would uncover the tablecloth first."

"And you would fill glasses with water and put flowers in the middle of the table. It was quite annoying, actually. The flower vase kept getting in the way," he said.

"But it was a nice touch," she retorted.

"I suppose."

There was a brief pause.

"Would you like to go down now?" Niya asked.

"Not really, but I can. Merlin knows they're probably just waiting for us," he said.

"It's okay, Thee. They understand your reluctance. We're all waiting for you to get better. We all want you back."

"I don't know if I can come back," he whispered. "I don't know if I'll ever come down from this state."

"The world needs you and your family needs you. You're the head Auror, Thee. Grindelwald is still out there. He must be stopped before more people die - Muggles and Wizarding folk all the same. You have the ability to do just that. I believe in you, Theseus, and so did Leta. I'm sure she still does."

He nodded absentmindedly. "Yeah, but I wish I could hear it from her."

Niya pursed her lips briefly before saying, "Yeah, I know."