sixteen

Niya and Newt were feeding the Hippogriffs at the barn a few yards away from the house

Niya and Newt were feeding the Hippogriffs at the barn a few yards away from the house. They stood next to each other in silence.

"Theseus loves you," he whispered.

"Not the way I want him too," she replied. "It's okay, Newt. Don't worry about me."

"It's not just you I'm worried about. I'm worried about Theseus as well. I've never been good at expressing how I feel to people, but I want him to be happy."

She smiled and looked at him. He was looking at the ground, fidgeting with the bucket of food.

"I'm sure he's glad you think so, but you should talk to him in person," Niya suggested. "It will mean more if you tell him that."

"I've never... I couldn't even properly hug him before... Before the incident."

"It's all right, Newt. You can say it," she encouraged.

"Leta and Mum were all he had. He always tried to get me to eat dinner with him, but I always refused because I claimed I was busy. I was just... I was scared," he softly admitted. "I guess what everyone says about Hufflepuffs are correct."

Niya frowned and tugged on his bangs harshly, forcing him to look at her in shock.

"Don't you ever say things like that," she scolded. "You are a strong man, Newt, and if the person you love or a stranger on the street can't see that, then you needn't bother with them. They aren't worth your time."

He bashfully smiled. "T-Thank you, Niya."

She nodded with a proud smile on her face before planting her fists onto her hips. "Besides, whoever said Hufflepuffs were stupid and quiet? If anyone ever says that again, send them right to me."

Newt fondly smiled at the former Hufflepuff in front of him. "All right."

A cough from the entrance of the barn caused the two to turn around.

"Oh - uh - Theseus, what are you doing here?" Niya nervously asked, hoping he didn't hear the very beginning of their conversation.

"I'd like to talk to Newt if that's all right," he replied.

She nodded and put down the bucket of food before walking out, leaving the brothers alone in the middle of the night.