Saturday, 05th April 2019

Penelope

Penelope

penelope?” My sister Aileen asks, shes only thirteen, she comes to visit me on break after school.

After I finished my law degree at uni, I got a Job at a local coffee shop close to my home in Brighton. Before I found out I was sick, I had so many dreams and goals I wanted to work at a law firm but I just don't have energy anymore. I had to get some kind of job though, a way to support myself and pay for a home I had always dreamed of living alone and being independent.

“What's it like dying” She questions, not meaning to sound insensitive but to young to know overwise.

“u-ugh I um” I stutter, caught of guard by the question and the way she asked it as if there was a quick and easy answer. “Well, I guess theres no one answer, but when I first found out I expected it to be terrifying just a lot of panic and fear” I explained.

“but it wasn't?” She asked.

“No, actually it wasn't the dying part that scared me it was the loneliness. It felt like everyone around me was a million miles away like I was just watching my life slip away and there was nothing I could do to stop it” I say, pushing back the tears that were forming not wanting Aileen to ever have to see my cry.

“Like you had no control” She states.

“Exactly” I say, before I can say anything about else Aileen stands up and walks around the counter engulfing me in a hug.

She hugs me so tightly, her head nuzzled so far into chest that she could hear my heartbeat.

“I love you sis” She breaths out, tears strolling down her youthful face.

“I love you more little sis”