Saturday, 13th April Part II

Penelope

Penelope

How the hell did Mr I wanked on a segway get a girlfriend as pretty as this” I laugh, as I scroll through her Instagram.

We had been driving for an hour now, and it had consisted of rapping to Eminem and Simon updating me on his life. Turns out he's not so lonely any more and managed to get a not only beautiful put very talented singer/YouTuber for a girlfriend called Talia. I can tell from the way he talks about her that he's head over heals in love with the girl because well I used to look at Haz like that.

“Hey, I think she's the lucky one I mean I am the whole package” He says sarcastically.

“Nah, sorry to tell you mate but you're the lucky one” I say.

“Yeah, you're not wrong she's amazing Pen, you two would really like each other” He stated, a smile tugging at his lips.

“Aww my little boys all grown up” I mock, laughing.

“Hey, Im older than you!” He argues.

“True” I sigh, the thought that I'll never reach Simons age of 25 sinking in, the smile wiping from my face.

He noticed, pulling up on the side of the rode, umbuckling his seat belt so he can lean over and wrap me in a hug.

“Whats wrong Penny?” He ask, pulling away a concerned look on his face as he furrows his eyebrows in worry.

“I don't think I can do this” I sigh, a lump forming in my throat making it hard to speak.

“What do you mean?” He asks, placing his delicately over mine.

“I d-dont wanna get hurt” I stutter, tears flooding from my eyes, the feeling of the world of the world on my shoulders taking over.

“Why would you get hurt?” He asks, wiping the tears from my eyes with his hoodie for the second time today.

“Si, I'm sick” I try to explain.

“Oh, do you have a cold?” he ask, “do you want me to turn up the heating or-” I cut him of.

“No Si, listen to me okay I'm sick” I explain, and my heart breaks as I watch his face drop. “Like, I'm really sick” I state.

“How bad is it” He ask, sniffling.

“I have a year left Si” I respond. “Lukemia” I answer, before he can ask.

In an instant I regret telling him, forced to watch him break down no matter how many times I've experienced break downs myself you can never prepare yourself to watch a loved one go through it. I feel helpless, as he looses his breath and salty drops of tears fall from his chin drenching his shirt. He looked vunarable, and the blue from his eyes had been removed and replaced by a stone grey.

This time I unbuckle my seat belt, reaching over to hug him. He eases into the hug straight away as he wraps his arms around me tightly. I don't complain, knowing he needed security and to feel like I wasn't going to leave him, and in some senses I suppose I never will.

“Tell me it's not true” He begs, sobbing into the crook of my neck.

“I wish I could Si” I say, “but you know me and you always did know when I was lying” I chuckle slightly at how well my best friend knew me.

“I don't wanna loose you” He chocked out, as he released me for the hug.

“You won't have to, because I'll always be there even if at times it doesn't feel like it” I say, holding his hand tightly in mine.

“You promise?” He says, the tears still falling, not even close to stopping.

“I promise” I state, and for once I was 100% certain it was a promise I could keep. “Now I need you to make me a promise” I say, he looks up at me once again making eye contact only this time we kept hold of it.

“I need you to promise me you're not going to tell the other” I say.

“Penelope, don't tell me you want to keep this from them they're your friends they should know so we can all take care of you” He cries, looking at me in pure shock.

“Remember when I said I don't want to get hurt?” I ask.

“Y-yeah” He stutters.

“Well if you tell them, that's what will happen because seeing you like this it hurts and it will hurt just as much if i have to see the others in this state as well” I cry, “I'll stay for a couple of months and then I'll leave and the guys can all have an amazing life for me pictured in their heads. One where Instead of dying so young I have a husband who loves and adores me and our beautiful children more than anything in this world and I'll work at a fancy law firm where I get payed so much I've lossed count” I say me and Simon smiling, as we close our eye's and smile at the image of me living a perfectly ordinary life. “and for you, my best friend I hope when Im gone you'll sleep easy knowing I'm in a better place” I say, to ease his mind even though deep down I'm not sure if I believe that yet.

“I love you so much Penelope Louise Bradley” He says, once again pulling me tightly into a hug.

“I love you to Simon Edward Minter”