~CHEMISTRY CATASTROPHE~

"Have you heard from Embry?" Jake grabs my arm, halting me. It's been two weeks since I last heard from Embry. It's been five weeks since I heard from Scott.

"Huh?" My head snaps to Jake, his breathing heavy. "Jake, calm down." I reach for his shoulder, trying to reassure him. "He said he was at home. But...that was about two weeks ago."

"He hasn't been answering my calls. It's not like him to not say anything. He hasn't been at home or at school lately. I just-" He sighs, "I'm just worried for him."

"This is making me worry." I stare down at the cracked concrete ground.

"I'm sorry, I know you have Scott to worry about. I didn't mean to put this on your back either." 

"Let's just get inside." I urge, wanting Jake to follow me to my locker.

"Reagan, this just isn't like him," He sighed, opening the front doors to the school, holding it open for me.

"I know it's not, he might just be.." I glance around the halls as we walked towards my locker. "He might just be visiting his Dad." 

"His Dad lives in Ohio, and it's the middle of May." He points out, leaning against the locker beside mine as we stopped at my locker.

"Your point? Maybe he just needed a much-needed break. It is the middle of May." I smirk slightly but it falters. My mind drifts to Scott, he had no excuse to leave. He said he was doing fine in his classes, his parents were together, he had a little brother he adored. Why'd he leave?

"You okay?" His voice breaks me out of my thoughts, his eyebrows raised in concern. "You're kind of just staring at your locker, not opening it.."

"Yeah, I'm fine." I shake my head, grabbing my notebook on the top shelf of my locker.

"I think it's steroids," Seth leans over, whispering in my ear as Mr. Valkes droned on and on about nuclear fusion.

"Sam is not giving teenagers steroids." I sigh, resting my head on my crossed arms.

"It could be a cult." He points out, writing down a few things.

"It's not a cult." I lean my head up towards Seth, watching as he clicked his tongue.

"Explain the tattoos," He clicked his pen a few times.

I go to say something but my mouth clamps shut. Everyone in class seemed to whisper about it, making up assumptions about how it was a new cult practice or that the three large men were taking steroids. And though I forced myself to keep my eyes on my notes and not engage in the conversation, I couldn't help but listen to every word that they said. I couldn't say a damn thing, Sam never talked to me about it. I questioned him day and night yet, he would just brush it off like it was nothing. So that's what I did.

"Can I go to the bathroom." I blurted out as I raised my head. I needed to get away from the noise, to sit in the bathroom for a while to calm down. Seth looked at me quizzically. 

Mr. Valkes looked at me, pausing for a moment in his lecture. He didn't seem to appreciate the fact that I interrupted him, but he sighed as he took in my expression. I had a panic attack once in Science and I apparently got violent. It got so bad, Embry had to come from his Math class to help calm me down. But he wasn't here, that was the issue.

He nodded, pointing at the door before he turned his attention back onto the rest of the class.

I didn't hesitate to gather my things, realizing that I would probably be in the bathroom for the rest of the period anyway. I opened the door and headed out into the cool, empty hallway, exhaling slowly when the silence welcomed me. I was never the person to admit that I had an anxiety problem. I almost drowned when I was younger, I was a strong swimmer at the time. Now, I was hesitant to even get close to water. Currently, I play soccer and volleyball. It certainly helps with my anxiety apparently. Sam told me it would help eventually.

"Reags," Jake announced, making me turn as he reached me, "Seth said you got panicky during Science," His eyes lock on mine, not breaking eye contact. "I know you're not okay."

"I'm alright, I just want to go home and nap. I just need a break." I mumble, "My head's been hurting. And did you grow in the three hours?" I look him up and down.

"You are definitely not okay. You need some sleep." He nods at me, chuckling. I really did, I thought I was hallucinating.

"I know but, Embry.." I glance at the front door of the school, students walking out since school ended about five minutes ago.

"He called during Chemistry, he's fine. He's said he'll be back tomorrow." He grins.

"That's great!" My heart skips beat knowing my best friend was safe.

"Now, go home." He nods to the door, "and get some sleep, please." He rests a hand on my shoulder before stepping back and walking away. Presumably towards his locker to grab homework since it was the weekend. 

"I will," I mumble, turning and closing my locker.