~HELL OF A MAN~

"Don't look so sad." I poke Paul's nose and hold him close, brushing a strand of dark brown hair away from his face. He sniffs dejectedly and buries his face in my chest. "Let's watch a movie." I stand up and put in the DVD player and join him back on the couch. He eagerly wraps his arms around my waist, once again burying his head in my chest. "Isn't this better?" I ask as the opening credits rolled. I look down and see that he was half asleep, his eyes opening at my question. He barely nods, his eyes slipping closed once again.

"This movie is dumb," Paul whines for the fifth time, his eyes opening.

"Don't be such a girl," I wrap my arms around his torso and hug him close. "I bet you're tired," I say as his arms encircle my waist and his head lolls to my shoulder.

"Maybe," he murmurs with a tiny sigh. I smile happily as a few minutes later,  he goes limp. The comforting void of sleep overpowering the both of us.

Slowly and reluctantly, I uncover my face. I blink, close my eyes, and blink again. Streaks of sunlight penetrate the window and blind me. I sit up, drag my feet off the couch, and rub my knuckles onto my eyes. I stretch my arms above my head and yawn. I watch my legs dangle above the off-white polyester carpet.

Paul was sleeping beside me, taking up most of the couch with his built frame. This morning wasn't gray, but by soothing lavender and brilliant amber. The colors merged into neon pink and peach.

"Reagan!" The front door opens suddenly and in walked Embry, Quil, Jared, and Jake. The sudden noise caused Paul to bolt upright, looking around with eyes laced with sleep. His eyes were narrowed as he tried to figure out who disrupted his precious sleep.

"What's up?" I questioned, yawning. My mind was still cloudy, meaning that I was still tired. My back was feeling tense because of the uncomfortable positioning from sleeping on the couch.

"The thing with the Cullen's," Embry looked as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. "Did you both forget?" He raised a knowing eyebrow, crossing his arms.

Jared and Quil were rummaging through the fridge, trying to find something to tide them over until the conversation was over.

I looked over at Paul, realizing our mistake. Paul nodded at me, his lips pursed. "We totally forgot," I admit, getting off the couch.

"Well, you both have very minimal time to get your asses in gear," Quil points out, a muffin he found in his hand.

As we approached, Sam leading the pack, I noticed all the vampires were relaxed. Some even had welcoming smiles on their faces as we trudged down the hill in shifted forms. None of us trusted them just yet. 

One vampire stepped forward, I believed he was Edward, Bella's boyfriend. I scanned the little coven of vampires, noticing Bella stood among the crowd. Her skin was as pale as theirs so it was hard to determine whether or not she was finally granted the gift of eternal death.

"Welcome," Carlisle started. "Jasper has experience with newborns," He gestured to a man with long, wavy blonde hair, a small smirk on his face. His hands were behind his back in what seemed to be a disciplined way.

I looked over to Edward, who was supposed to be translating. "They want to know how newborns differ from us."

Carlisle looks back at the pack, "They're a great deal stronger than us because their own human blood lingers in their tissues." He takes a breath, pausing. "Our kind is never more so physically powerful than in our first several months of this life."

Jasper steps forwards, "Carlisle's right, that's why they are created." He sneers, "A newborn army doesn't need thousands like a human army. No human army could stand against them." He looks to his fellow vampires before looking at us once again. "The two most important things to remember are, to never let them get their arms around you, they'll crush you in an instant. And second, never go for the obvious kill. They'll be expecting that. And you will lose." The vampire looked so bored. He raised his heavy lids and stared at me through yellow eyes. He was nothing like the story-book vampires: pale with overgrown canines and a dislike of garlic. He was like a regular guy, almost. His skin was a little on the waxy side and his exposed neck sparkled slightly in the sunlight but, he looked just like a man. A dead man but nevertheless, a man.

Embry cowered beside me, taking a small step back.

"Emmett!" Jasper called, turning his back to us.

 Paul was in the kitchen, making some late-night pancakes. I sat on the island, marveling him in all his shirtless glory.

"You are one hell of a man," Paul turned, holding two plates that were stacked high with golden pancakes. He placed them on the island before worming his way between my legs, resting his head on my chest as he stood there, breathing softly.

Even though the front door opened, we still stayed in the comforting position.

"Reagan," Sam's voice called out to me, making me hum in response, my eyes still closed in contentment. "Reagan,"

"What?" My eyes snapped open, Paul sensing my annoyance.

"Seth," He paused, looking me dead in the eye. "He needs you," My heart skipped a beat.

"Where is he?" Paul moved away from me as I hopped off the counter.

"Outside," Sam nods to the door, "He's confused, I think it's best you explain." Sam opens the door for me.

I didn't even have shoes on. I didn't care as I stepped out onto the wooden porch, scanning the yard with the very little light that the porch light provided me.

I noticed a rocking figure that was pressed up against a tree. I hurriedly walked over to the figure, making sure not to look threatening.

"Seth?" I softly asked, crouching down as I reached him. He was sobbing, a blanket was draped over his body. The blanket was slipping off one of his shoulders. He was a wreck.

My brain stutters for a moment and my eyes take in more light than I expected, every part of me goes on pause while my thoughts catch up. After a wash of cold, I place one hand on Seth's shoulder, "It'll be okay, it will." I reassure as he glances at me through glossy eyes. He looked like a kicked puppy. "I'm going to explain everything, alright?" He nods, as I sit down beside him, ignoring the cold sensation from the wet ground on my bare legs.