~SHRED OF DOUBT~

I couldn't sit still for the rest of the two hours that we sat there waiting. I ate all of the soup that Emily gave me, realizing that it was nearly ten at night now. I was so tired, tired of waiting for answers. I just wanted to go to bed. But I needed to stay up, I needed to make sure that Paul was okay and I needed to speak with him. I could only imagine how he felt right now. Luckily, it was the weekend. I could sleep in.

It seemed like forever, but we were all still sitting at the kitchen table when the front door creaked open. I glanced over my shoulder anxiously, noticing Sam stepping through the door alone. His hair was tousled, and he had some smudges of dirt on him. I wasted no time, getting up and running towards him, throwing my arms around him in a tight hug. He wrapped his arms around my waist and swayed slightly, not letting me go. I needed this, I needed my brother.

"Reagan." Sam slowly let go of me. "Are you okay?"

I sighed, shrugging a little.

He seemed to stare at me for a moment, looking a little disappointed.

I nodded, relaxing as Emily rubbed my shoulder. "Where's Paul?"

His eyes flickered towards the door. "He's out there, I finally got him to calm down so that he could phase back."

"Well, is he coming in?" I questioned eagerly.

He sighed, "I don't know. He's...really upset that he let himself slip in front of you, he's worried. Honestly, I was wanting you to go out there and talk to him. He seemed very depressed."

I couldn't let him handle himself like that.

"I promise you that once he tells you everything, it won't be as scary."

"Good, because everything you told me makes me want to go to an asylum," I muttered.

Emily disappeared for a few minutes, returning with something black in her hands. She threw it towards me, a pair of black athletic shorts. "Make sure he has these on, just in case there aren't any clothes stocked."

I nodded, swallowing.

"I'm really glad that you are going to talk to him." Sam nodded. "He needs this."

Breathing slowly, I nodded and headed towards the door.

"He's in the backyard, I believe," Sam called after me as I stepped out onto the porch.

The cool breeze of the shore seemed to stretch its way out. I hugged my body tightly as I held the black shorts, tucking my hair behind my ears so that it wouldn't blow in the breeze.

As I started to walk off the porch, I realized how sweaty my palms were. I didn't really know what to expect, I couldn't hear any sound of him. But my brain kept replaying the memories of the huge wolf that snarled so deeply.

"P-Paul?" I called out as I slowly walked around the house. Knowing that he probably didn't have anything on, I reached a hand up to cover my eyes.

I had no idea if I was still walking along the side of my house or if I was in the backyard now, I just hoped that I would find him eventually...or he would find me in that case.