Chapter 3: The Escaped Princess

Wait, what? Viaan was deluding himself because there was no way he heard that right. He was not qualified to be a proper prince let alone the leader of a not so secret magical organisation. He gaped at Adhyay. That man was looking very intently at Viaan which made Viaan more nervous. Viaan was so deeply engrossed in his monologue that he did not see the expectant look from Adhyay. Viaan didn't know why the man wanted him to be a leader. As far as he knew, he didn't have any exceptional quality. He loved reading very much and that's why he spent most of his time at the library. Even if he was asked to be a scholar, it would have been hard for him. He wasn't leading type. He liked to be in shadows observing everyone.

"I don't get why you want me to be a leader, sir. I'm not the best fighter, not a good strategist and I have no idea about this organisation. I wouldn't be a good leader. You must be mistaken, sir."

Adhyay got up and leaned against the window.

"You are most adaptive than all others who intend to get this position. And they see it as a climbing step. I want a person who will see it as a responsibility not a birth right. I have met them and they weren't qualified for this. You would do a remarkable job. Just trust me and also your instincts. Out of everyone, I think you are my best choice."

"How many people are there?"

"One from each kingdom and two of them aren't competing. The other six aren't qualified enough. I see some extraordinary things in you and I don't think you believe in yourself. I have a deal for you, if you are interested?"

"What's that?"

"By the end of the year, you can decide if you want to be the leader or not. Only you have to train with us like every other apprentice. The decision is yours in the end. What do you say?"

No harm in that, Viaan thought. He was getting trained which he will definitely require when he went back to his kingdom and it was always good to know that he would be able to defend himself. And he was sure he would say no when Adhyay would ask him later. It was a total win-win situation for him. So he did not delay in saying yes. But Viaan did not concentrate on the fact that Adhyay would never gamble if the situation resulted in his loss.

Adhyay did get documents and made Viaan sign one. It was just a letter that, said Viaan would become a student of magic. Viaan was happy that this matter was being dropped. His happiness was shortlived when Vidyut entered the room.

"Take him to the training room and teach him the basics."

Viaan looked at Adhyay and tried to gauge his feelings. He had no success in that. He got up and followed Vidyut out of the room.

Vidyut was very animated and he soon started talking once they were out of Adhyay's earshot.

"You will learn magic control and fighting with it. And also you are now one of us."

Viaan didn't expect the room to be so big and filled with people. They were all fighting in pairs. Some with swords, some with magic and some with both. Vidyut took Viaan to the back of the room where there was nothing but he somehow opened a hidden door. Viaan didn't see how he did that. He deducted that the door required some magical password and decided to ask him later. This room was empty and it had many cushions lying around.

"First, I'll tell you something about us. We are all specialised in a particular magic. I'll tell you mine. I use lightning. I don't know what powers other students have. Its secret till we finish our training. You will have to read basics, practice them and learn weapon fighting. Today I will teach you a simple magic manoeuvre. But first we have to determine what your power is? Then you will get a nickname. I don't think it will catch on since everyone knows your name."

"Does everyone get a nickname?"

"Yeah. That's because no one tells their name here. They are running from their past and want to rebuild their life. Maybe except Adhyay and obviously you, we know no one's real name. It wasn't like this before. But times have changed. So what do you think your power is?"

Viaan shrugged.

"I don't know. I never practiced magic. So wouldn't it be hard to know what I can do?"

"We can test it."

Viaan tried to retaliate to many attacks from air, water, lightning, earth, energy and fire users. And he couldn't. So his power was either dormant or he had no magic. The latter case was strictly argued by Vidyut. Vidyut was so confident that Viaan had some sort of super power where he could use any power which Viaan found absurd.

Vidyut was gone for some supplies and Viaan tried to focus on his magic which was only fruitless.

"You should give it time."

Viaan didn't notice the girl hiding in the plain sight there. Nairiti was standing like a phantom beside him. He saw her in the daylight and thought she was beautiful with sea green eyes and long black hair. She had a calm expression. She was also good at sneaking. He didn't know that she was there. He suddenly remembered that her name was also a nickname. The nicknames had some meanings to the persons. Her name only indicated a direction, southwest. Then something hit him.

"You aren't from here, right?"

"So what?"

"I think your name indicates where you come from."

"That's my past and you aren't allowed to ask or tell anyone."

"It isn't my secret to tell."

She just left when she saw Vidyut coming back with some books and crystals.

"What was she telling you? Don't tell me she is your mentor and I'm not. I know she is the best but I'm doing the best I can."

"Whoa. Whoa. Stop. She was just telling me not to stress about my powers. And you are doing great. You already ruled out most of the powers in what, two hours. Its impressive. Those guys came fast and left without wasting any time. You organised everything perfectly well."

"Thank you! What more did she say? She looked very scary."

"Uh, nothing. Only that."

Viaan couldn't tell him that she was the only royal survivor of the royal family of Urmika, the kingdom on the seaside. The kingdom which fell on a night nearly fifteen years ago. The kingdom where the king and his whole family was killed except one of the princesses. The other kingdoms knew nothing of it. No names of the family members were known. Everyone was sad about the great leader King Anav and his family. The one who escaped was now known as Nairiti to everyone.

Author's note:
Hi everyone!
How are you?
I hope you guys liked it. What do you think of Nairiti?