Chapter 20: The Whispers

Viaan was scaling the walls of the building. He hadn't done that in the past five years but that skill was still in him. He was the one who was going to scope out the palace from his aerial view. His team was the ground team and he was the air team apparently. He gave them his "go" signal which was picked up by their crystals. It was engineered that way by Vidyut and though Viaan had been interested in asking how it worked, it wasn't the appropriate time.

The sky was always illuminated in Mihira and Viaan didn't know if he should like that fact or hate it. He got down the building and climbed the adjoining tree. He could hear the sounds his friends made when they moved in the first layer of security of the palace. There were no guards and Viaan was really scared of the implications. But still they maintained their sneaky plan because Nairiti insisted.

He saw them emerging from the shadows by sitting fully covered in the tree's foliage. Nairiti had a battle appropriate attire with weapons tucked in her cloak. While Vidyut had went for a scientist look, Rudra opted for a practical look which consisited a satchel to his side, its contents being many herbs.

Viaan then jumped towards the nearest tree and caught himself slipping. He had to use his hook for strapping himself back to the tree. He would have loved to zipline himself but he couldn't try it because the group voted the idea out.

Atleast his friends for making up for the stealth he was losing. They moved quietly and almost upon his position. He scurried ahead, moving the leaves away from his face and hoping nothing would bite him. He jumped forward and got down from the last tree on the path. He waited for his friends to catch up and thought back to their plan. They were going to infiltrate the palace and get information for tomorrow.

Then they would meet back and review their plan. So far, everything was going according to their plan. It was good.

The doors were open like an invitation. Viaan took a tentative step in followed by his friends. He took them to his room  where he had many useful weapons. His room wasn't easy to access but their combined thieving and magic opened the door easily. They geared up with small knives and ate some bananas. His room still had food.

They were eating silently and in the silence of the space, they heard footsteps. Viaan indicated hiding spots and they waited for the visitor to show their presence. A shadow loomed in the open doorway and a person entered with a lamp.

Viaan was surprised to see his sister Ahana standing there in a nightgown with an alarmed look on her face. When she recognized him, she hugged him with tears in her eyes.

"I knew you would come back," she said continuing her sobbing.

"I know, I know. How are you?" Viaan drew back so he could see her face.

The dread returned. She shook her head and took a deep breath.

"I couldn't sleep. There are whispers following me. I can't concentrate on anything. Its becoming worse every day. Today, I felt something different in the air. What's happening, Viaan? Is this why, you are back?"

Viaan nodded and gestured for his team to come out of hiding. Ahana was surprised when she took in their appearances.

"What's happening,  Viaan, tell me? I sent the kids away. Please tell me?"

"There's gonna be a fight, tomorrow."

"The magic fight?"

Viaan could only nod. She was smart and fierce too. He could trust her to keep everyone safe.

He told her everything about his journey. She was his only hope. He gave her same herbs which would play an important role later. She understood everything fast, without any questions. She told them how things were on their end.

Viaan listened patiently to everything she said and formulated his theories. Each theory only resulted in bad case scenarios so he kept those to himself. He then gave her tasks so she could be safe and out of the harm's way.

She hugged each of them while Rudra was looking very uncomfortable. Viaan smiled at that.

They went towards the kitchens and destroyed all the harmful ingredients. They then planted many air purifiers which would start working on their command.

They had only two hours before everything unraveled. Viaan tried to relax in his room. But he couldn't. He was waiting for someone to initiate a talk. He finally took it upon himself.

"No matter what happens, we will win. We have to free the people from the evil so they can have their say in the change coming fast towards them. And no one is doing a hero thing. We are staying alive, okay?"

He waited till everyone nodded and continued, "I am very lucky and happy because you are with me. The most talented and bravest people, I know. We will not go down without an awesome fight."

He smiled at their smiling faces. He was really lucky to have them as his friends. He had only family but his new friends also became his family. He would do everything to keep them safe. No one could get away if they hurt his kingdom or his family.

The midnight was approaching very fast and the shadows were coming alive. Viaan was also being spooked by the same whispers that Ahana was hearing. It was becoming unbearable so he had to use his magic to stop it. The whispers vanished in this space and he charmed the sunstones to absorb every dark magic. He gave the sun stones to his friends before leaving for the main palace garden. It was there, the evil was drawing the stones to itself. And Viaan was very eager to find the magic user who was pulling them like a strong magnet.

Author's note:

Next chapter, we are gonna find someone! Who is it, you think? And what are the person's motives?

I have been sick but I wanted to write today. So here we go!