Chapter 8 : The Secret

"Why are you here? At this time?"

Viaan cursed his luck. The only time he managed to sneak out was the time he got caught. He had to think a reason fast. He wasn't good at lying but he had to try. It was dark in the hallway. He was just navigating by using his memory of the day's events. He could say he was sleepwalking. But then again, the voice was Vidyut's so he wouldn't have to lie. Vidyut was his friend, and he would understand his concern. So Viaan took a deep breath and answered.

"I was just exploring." He replied.

"Oh Viaan, it's you. I thought it was someone else. You aren't asleep? I just arrived here."

"Why don't you eat first? And where are you going?"

"Yeah I'll eat. But first I have to put these documents away. You can come with me."

That was the best outcome Viaan never expected. They moved in the hallway without making any noise, but Viaan was waging a war in his mind. He wanted to tell Vidyut about the information he knew, but he wasn't sure if he should tell. He could never jeopardize his family's safety, but Vidyut  was his friend. He could be trusted, right?

Before he could overthink, they arrived. The door had a lock on it. Vidyut took a large bronze key and turned the lock open. There was no light in the room. Compared to the room the hallway looked brightly lit. Vidyut found the light Crystal and somehow turned it on. The soft white glow illuminated the stacks of books and papers which were carefully placed.

"You are acting strangely, is everything alright?"

Viaan looked at Vidyut and saw the concern in his eyes. Viaan couldn't keep it from him. He had very few people he could rely on now. He didn't want to lose them because he was scared of opening himself to them. He told him everything and Vidyut listened patiently. When he was done, Vidyut brought the concerned papers and read them. He tore the papers from the file and replaced them with some white papers.

"No one will know that some papers are gone now. Let's go somewhere else and talk about this. "

Viaan nodded and followed Vidyut to his room. Vidyut's room was as bright as his personality. It was happy colored and filled with books on one side and his paintings on the other side. They were so realistic that Viaan had to blink multiple times. The scenery was very beautiful, and very life like. Viaan was  very much captivated by each and every painting. He looked back at Vidyut when he heard him murmuring.

"Sorry. I am messy. I would pick them up if I knew I would entertain you."

"What are you saying? These are awesome."

"My family doesn't like this hobby of mine. They are all sculptors not painters. So I don't leave them laying around normally." His voice was so sad. Viaan wanted him to smile like he always did.

"If I want my befuddled face expression captured,  I know who to ask."

Vidyut grinned.

"You have many varieties of expressions which make me laugh like a maniac. You won't be able to keep a secret of you are captured. You would give them away by your reactions alone."

"That's why you keep me close, right?"

Viaan spent three hours brainstorming with Vidyut about why his brother's logs were missing and how his mother's  powers were extremely different than anyone. Vidyut did not know what a super Elemental was. Viaan had also told him about his power and Vidyut was shocked.

"Why is everyone in your family a weirdo? You all have unknown or possibly forgotten powers. This would be very hard to crack. I mean how can we know this? Who can we ask?"

Viaan thought about that. He knew someone who knew answers to many questions.

"You need to tell me something," Viaan  said finally.

They were standing in front of a closed door. Viaan wanted to knock but he was having second thoughts. Will she be awake at this time? She would be angry for sure. She might hit them both. Vidyut had already warned him but he was adamant to meet her. Viaan summoned his courage and knocked three times. He waited but there was no answer.

"Why are you standing here?"

That voice made them both jump. She scared them and they were very much scared to turn back and face her.

Nairiti was standing there with a frown on her face. Viaan knew it wasn't night anymore. He had spent the midnight trying to sneak and then he was trying to uncover secrets. Now it was early morning. And Nairiti was back from her early morning practice.

"Uh, we wanted to ask you something. Can we come in?" Vidyut asked her.

She seemed to think for an eternity before opening the door. Her room was empty. No personal touch, or any prized possession. The walls were bare and white. There were a desk and a door to the adjoining room.

"Easy to pack, huh?"

She said noticing their wandering eyes. They sheepishly sat down and pulled up the papers from the file. She glanced at it and looked at them.

"You tore them?"

"Uh yeah." Vidyut answered her.

"What about the magical powers? Do you know them?"

"I know what's super Elemental. It's just the opposite of yours. You add power to anyone. Super Elementals can steal them. For example if a super Elemental touches me, then that person can use my power for some time."

"That explains your powers. But you said your brother is a Whisperer. Why isn't that written here?" Vidyut asked Viaan.

"Maybe because no one in your family practised magic later. You didn't know you could do it."

"But I knew my brother did. And my sister too. I didn't knew I could do it." Viaan said.

"Maybe no one was supposed to know about you. You were the one kept secret."

Author's note:

Hey guys. I'm back.

What do you think?