Chapter 14: The Believer

Viaan was worked up on the information that he found it hard to concentrate on the filing work before him. He was waiting for the clock to strike three so he could get up and stretch his legs. So far, he was updating the personal information on the personnel. It was a boring job because he wasn't interested in their personal affairs. Who needed to know how many children each officer had? But his mind still memorised it. Viaan got up and walked around the empty room. His friends were probably working in the filing section and sorting papers and forms. It was more boring than his job so he didn't complain.

He just wanted to get out of this assignment and then regroup and discuss matters of more importance. Those matters being breaking in the palace, spying on Vivaan and then ofcourse, escaping from the bodyguards. It was sounding ridiculous in his own head but that was the total plan. It would get more details once they started working and executing it, he was sure.

Finally he was finished with his work ir rather, it was time to go. He stepped out of the room and started walking in the general direction of the kitchen which was downstairs. He never really had time to observe the staff but one person really stood out. Viaan had seen him many times but this time was different. This time it was different because the boy had bowed to him. Viaan was shocked and he stopped abruptly. The boy stood ti the side in the balcony holding a tray of glasses with his head low. Viaam had seen this how many times. It was familiar to the prince of Mihira. But this thought sent a chill to his spine. He couldn't ignore this boy anymore.

Viaan turned and observe him for a moment. The boy looked seventeen and he had a wise appearance. He was dirty because of his work but he looked innocent among all the other people he had seen in the place. Viaan wanted to look in his eyes so he could know the truth.

"Why are you bowing?" Viaan asked him directly.

The boy didn't move am inch but he murmured with his head down, "Because you are royalty, my lord. And a servant should never look in the eyes of a prince."

Viaan felt pain in his heart at that comment. Who had instilled this kind of words in this boy's mind? It was non sense. Being a prince didn't warrant any head bows or any respect. This was pure irrelevant and wrong.

"You can look at me, you know. I'm just two years older than you, if I have to guess. I'm asking you this, please look at me, while we talk."

The boy slowly looked at him because he thought it was wrong to say no to what a prince said directly to him.

Viaan was right in his judgement. The boy was similar to him in many ways. He was honest, Viaan understood that.

"How can you say I'm whatever you think I am?"

He looked away for a moment then focused on Viaan again.

"You have a distinct way of carrying yourself. You have manners like no other here. Even you eat differently. The way you walk slowly without any care gives you away, my lord."

The voice shook in the end but Viaan smiled. He wasn't being as sneaky as he thought.

"That doesn't mean I'm a prince, does it?"

"No one in the council behaves like this. They act as if they are entitled. You are humble and you do not expect anything from those lesser than your stature. I know how the councilman's family acts towards servants. All of us know that the royal family is different. It is our dream to serve you. It is easy to recognize you, sir. You look different but your character is same."

"Does anyone else know this? Did they also find out?"

The boy shook his head. Viaan had found a very smart boy in this household. A wise and perceptive person. Viaan decided to help this boy  get his worth recognized.

"What's your name?"

"I call myself Rudra."

Apt name, Viaan concluded.

"You can meet me in the stable, the place where it is safe at an appropriate time."

With that Viaan strode away. He had to wait and see if Rudra would identify his secret hide out. Viaan knew that Rudra would pass this test.

Nairiti gave him a very strong glare when he told them about Rudra. He knew it could be a fatal mistake if Rudra was their enemy. He could become famous or wealthy if he ratted him out. But for some unknown reason, Viaan trusted the boy.

The boy did come there just after the clock struck ten times in the night. Nairiti surveyed him and clearly was forming an opinion about him. Vidyut who was calm till now was alert. The boy didn't know he was in the presence of other royalty or he would have fell on his knees. Viaan hated how the etiquette was taught in his kingdom. No one should worship the royals. They were people too who were not above anyone.

Rudra stood quietly before them and Viaan didn't count on his friends to make him comfortable. So Viaan asked him, "Did you eat?"

He nodded without any comment and Viaan knew he was lying.

"You believe he is not guilty?"

Nairiti's sharp voice broke the silence.

Rudra turned towards her and nodded. She raised a eyebrow as a question to his silent answer. She looked like a cat ready to pounce in a moment. Rudra almost have noticed that so he hurried to answer, "Prince Viaan would never do anything like that. I know that. The royal family is the best one. They care genuinely about everyone and no one from the family can kill anyone."

Viaan was struck by how much he believed in him. Someone believed his innocence. Nairiti was satisfied with the answer too and Vidyut visibly calmed himself.

Viaan told them about his plan to scout many officials and they agreed. Rudra was also working with them and he was inconspicuous of all. No one would wonder about why he was hanging around the rooms. That way he could collect more information. It was what Rudra had suggested. And Viaan was filled with hope that some people believed his innocence too.

That thought gave him hope, which was the most important thing in his life.

Author's note:
We meet Rudra!!!
I personally like him. What about you? What part will he play later?
What secrets will he find in their spying session?

An early update and maybe it can become two updates a week.