Chapter 29: Of poisons and spies

"King Viaan, we should leave," Vidyut said nervously.

Viaan felt the alarm in his voice. He quickly hugged his brother and left the room. He scanned his entourage and felt weird. They were all approved by his friends but still he felt uneasy. He had to talk to all of them and know their personalities. Anyone who was willing to give their life for other person was the bravest in his opinion. And such person will be always in the forefront of his mind. He wouldn't let any injustice happen to his guard.

"What's happening?"

"Nairiti asked you to come as soon as possible,"Vidyut whispered.

They reached the holding cell. It was the same one where Viaan was held. Viaan felt the onslaught of his memories. The desolation, fear and loss of hope, he wished no one felt that in their lives.

Nairiti was standing against the wall in what could only be said as an intimidating pose. She didn't need that. Her glare could silence anyone. And she was a force to be reckoned with.

"Prince Viaan! Ah, my apologies, it is King Viaan now,"the man smirked.

Viaan had enough of these games.

"Tell me what message you have for me," he growled.

"Haha the boy king knows how to threaten. How charming this is!"

Viaan knew he was being baited. And his authority was being questioned here.

"Fine, then play your games here. I don't have time for this non sense," he looked at Nairiti," let's go."

"Fine, fine, fine. You have no patience. So you are alive? You may have caught me but you won't catch our helpers here," he grumbled.

Viaan raised his eyebrow at that.

"You mean our corrupt officials. I know who they are."

"You are lying."

"I don't have to show proof, do I? Do you guys really think I'm foolish? I didn't stay in the court politics but you forget I was a prince. I studied everything there is to know. And your pathetic attempts won't give you any result."

The man started laughing. Viaan memorised his features. He had a long nose and freckled skin. His expression was always changing. Now he had a very amused expression on his face. Viaan schooled his features into a neutral one and waited for him to talk.

"Fine, I can give you some information. Your girl there didn't kill me even when she found my tools. I owe her a debt."

"Then you must help her, not me."

"Are you joking, king?"

"I'm not. You owe her your life. It was her choice to save you. Why should I ask you a favor? I'm perfectly capable of doing my work."

"Well then, I'm asking you, what do you intend to do with me?"

"I don't know. It depends on what you tell me. You are a messenger after all. So we will release you."

"You won't kill me? "

"No."

"Even when you know that I poisoned you with the dart?"

"Posion you say,  what type?"

"I don't know. You should have died yesterday. But since you are alive, the poison wasn't correct then."

"Tell me the name?"

"White posion, I guess. I wasn't told but it may be a mixture."

"And why are being so forthright with information?"

"Because I don't want to die here. Or there. I want to leave this kingdom with my family."

"If you want to do that, I will allow. But you can't harm anyone. If you harm anyone, I'll cancel our deal."

"You have no idea of knowing, king."

"You have no idea of my capabilities. I'm a king now. I'm bound to gave powers."

"Fine,"he mumbled finally.

Viaan strode out and waited for Nairiti.

They walked back to the study and Viaan was still deeply engrossed in his thoughts.

"You think the poison is fake?"

"No, it was real. But something is keeping it at bay."

"Vidyut, do you know about White posion?"

"Its a magical one, Viaan. It ties with magic. It is known to remove magic and reverse its effects which will essentially kill the user."

"So why am I alive?"

"Your magic is unique, Viaan."

Viaan thought back to Nairiti's words. Unique magic, he didn't think so. Maybe it was mirror Viaan helping him. Because his magic wasn't the same after the eclipse. He had both sides of his magic. The increasing and decreasing type both. The posion was a test. The guy was seeing if Viaan had obtained the powers he wanted to. And Viaan made a grave mistake by attending the coronation. He was sure that his enemy was planning something more sinister now.

"Keep an eye on the man we have in holding. Someone is going to meet him. Follow him and tell me what happens. "

"I'll do it," Nairiti said, "that way he will pay his life debt and we will be free of each other."

"True."

He understood her reasoning. She didn't want to be in debt and didn't want anyone else to help her. Viaan felt the same way. But the world worked in mysterious ways.

"So how did you know about the man today?" Vidyut asked.

"Do you know why I changed the security pattern to hexagon instead of circle because circle was easily breached. He was inside the pattern and I knew he came to kill me. That's why I had you near me. Because I knew something like this would happen. And Vidyut, what is the antidote?"

"I don't know its antidote. That poison works on magic so antidote is also magical. We have to research this."

"Please find it. I can't die right now."

Vidyut immediately left. Viaan signaled his inner guard to leave. They were out of hearing range but still he needed some quiet.

He picked up his pocket mirror and smiled.

"Do you know the antidote?" He asked his mirror image.

"You don't need it. As long as we are together, magical poisons won't work on us." That was good to hear.

"What about later?"

"Its good that we have time to find out the antidote. I mean you have an advantage here which our father didn't. He died because he didn't have his opposite magic. You do. So we will find out the cure and then I'll go back."

"My father was poisoned?"

Author's note:

Hey hey hey!
So what do you think?