Quintessential

Quintessential;  representing the most perfect or typical example of a quality; classic.

C H A P T E R    T W E N T Y - F O U R 

We heard the irate yells arise from the audience about what the hell had just happened. All of us were so confused as to why all the lights in the stadium had gone out. We couldn't see anything that was happening on the field. 

"Really? This is the only time the lights could find to bail on us?" Matt howled.

"Great!" Ally sarcastically said and slumped into her seat.

All the expressive fury came to a halt as the lights came back on. As sound travelled around and reached us, we came to know the issue. Apparently, there was a power cut. Scar's eyes went wide listening to the reason. "Are you kidding me? It's the semi-finals, and they can't even make sure of the power supply?" she looked crazy mad.

"Dumb bitches," Tiffany said, rolling her eyes.

Her expression made me chuckle lightly. The coach apologized and said they'd continue the game, giving them two minutes and he gave the ball to our team because they had it before the blackout. So, right now, the score was 1-1 with two minutes on the clock. No one bothered to sit down. The anxiety that filled up our minds had reached fever pitch, and everyone's lips were moving in either a silent cheer or prayer with their fingers crossed.

The ball was with Chase right now, and they were just aimlessly running on the field, not making even a feeble attempt towards scoring a goal. Jay stood very close to the goalpost with Brian and Noah stood a little further away. No one understood what they were trying to do. Chase passed the ball to Jay and only 30 seconds were left on the clock. The goalie of the rival team was fully prepared for blocking Jay's goal, and they'd definitely lose. 

What the hell were they doing?

But Jay surprised everyone by passing the ball to Noah and not even looking at the goalpost, and while everyone was trying to figure out what the hell was happening, Noah kicked the ball with his maximal strength, and before we knew it, the ball hit the net and the clock struck zero, the shriek of the loud bell signalling the end of the game.

They did it. They won. 

All the players jumped high in the air screaming their lungs out in happiness, and the crowd went absolutely crazy, half with rage and the other half with pure joy. 

"OH MY GOD! Syd, they did it! They won the semi-finals, I can't believe this," Scar yelled in my face and hugged me. 

I saw Ally and Matt do the same. I contemplated whether to hug Tiffany or not, but just as the thought entered my mind, she looked at me as if saying 'Don't even think about it' but there was a faint smile on her lips which was a huge thing because she rarely smiled. She was like a very hot female Kanye West.

We made our way out of the bleachers and went outside to wait at the same place we wait for them every time. No one could contain their joy. There were still loud cheers originating from all around. I couldn't wait for all the players to come out, one, in particular, the most. As usual, Chase, Jay, Brian, Taylor and the rest of them came out. I stood on my tippy toes to find that one person since all of them were so tall. 

"He's with the coach. He'll be out in a minute," Chase said and smiled smugly at me.

I nodded and pulled him into a hug. "Y'all are so smart. Everyone's impressed with the lil tactic you used at the end," I told him genuinely.

We broke the hug and Chase had a smirk resting on his face. "Well, you know, someone boosted our Captain's confidence a lot, so he came up with it."