Ineffable

Ineffable; too great to be expressed in words.

C H A P T E R     F O U R T Y - E I G H T 

I took Noah's arm as we exited the airport, and it didn't take me more than ten seconds to spot Chris because of his height. 

"Bet he already has ten jokes ready about me," I mumbled, and Noah chuckled.

"Man, I love that guy," he countered as Chris spotted us and waved.

He came towards us, and I left Noah's hold to hug him, and the two boys completely side-lined me, moving to hug each other, making it seem as if I wasn't even present on the scene and Chris was his sibling, not mine.

"Happy Birthday, bro," Chris wished while hugging him.

"His birthday isn't till midnight, shithead," I asserted, and Chris turned to me, acknowledging my presence.

"I missed you too, Syd," he said, enclosing me in a tight hug, and it didn't take me two seconds to alternate the action.

Having siblings was the best thing ever. It's like no matter how much you annoy them, they've got nowhere to go. In the end, it's you they're going to end up coming to for help about which color football shoes would make them look better on the field. Chris had the ability to piss me off till the ends of the earth within a matter of two minutes, but only he could make me as happy in the same interval of time.

Chris started to walk ahead of us and, after taking two steps or so, halted his movements and turned around. "Also, Syd, zip up your turtleneck. Not the whole LA needs to know just how fun your flight was," Chris said, giving me a tight look.

"Shit," Noah and I both whispered simultaneously; my hand flew up to the spot where the hickey was, I knew it like it was the back of my hand. How did I forget to hide that? Oh, because you were too high from Noah's kisses to realize what the hell was going on.

"Shit, now he hates me," Noah said, audible enough for only me to hear.

And I didn't oppose it. Chris didn't mind all this as long as it stayed in the inside, but I could tell he was reasonably annoyed right now. I knew that Noah wasn't the one he was going to talk to about this; it was going to be me. Chris wasn't the one to resort to violence for times like these; instead, he would tell me that it was my responsibility to make sure something like this didn't happen.

Chris lived in an apartment, and he liked having his own space, and he wasn't fond of roommates, so he didn't have one. There was still time left before the show, so we decided to chill around his apartment since neither I or Noah had the enthusiasm to roam around LA, and I don't think Chris was willing to take up our offer even if we did. He seemed pretty disappointed with me right now. Noah excused himself to go to the restroom.

"Hey," I muttered to Chris, not sure if I was getting a reply.

"Syd--"

I cut him off. "I know. I know what you're going to say, and I'm sorry, I should've been more careful."

"Exactly. I know I shouldn't be the one speaking between y'all because frankly, it's none of my business, but just make sure it's not visible next time. God knows I didn't wake up at seven in the morning to meet my little sister along with that," he cringed.

"Okay, I got your point. But it's just a hickey, not like I got knocked up or something," I said jokingly and laughed, but apparently, Chris wasn't finding any of this funny. I raised my hands in defense and muttered an apology.

"Anyway, whatever, let's just forget it. It's his birthday, and I don't wanna ruin his mood," Chris said, making a lot of hand gestures. "Where is he, by the way, what's he doing in there for so long?"