16 - Denigration

The days quickly toppled over each other until a week had passed. The time was mostly spent taking photos of landmarks, including the Council building and the markets, and writing descriptions of their significance. The menial nature of the task allowed you to take a step back and breathe. Until now, it felt like you weren't given an opportunity to relax as things happened one after another. Nonetheless, you could not erase the incessant anxiety that hummed in the back of your mind.

Cyril still wasn't answering his calls; neither was the man who picked it up in his place that one time. True to his word, Asher dialled down his behaviour, yet strange vibes kept radiating from his form. Also, you still had no clue how exactly to hide your notes when it comes time to leave and weren't sure about how to escape from council guards if you were ever caught.

On top of all of this was your meeting with Gael later this evening. Conveniently enough, Asher had to meet up with the outsider he met at the library - Bob? Brent? Boris? You couldn't remember their name. At the very least, now you didn't need to tell the lovesick creep about your own rendezvous.

You stole a glance at your writing partner. While walking along the cobbled path of the marketplace and taking arbitrary left and right turns, he bore into the map of the town, limp and flimsy in his tight grip. Scrunched eyebrows relaxed as he abruptly straightened and stopped in his tracks.

"We're here!"

A flickering light, hazy through the shop's window, entered your vision. To be sure you arrived at the correct destination, you looked up and read the messily hand-painted wooden sign. 'Randall's Remedies'

The sudden ringing of the store's bell made Randall flinch and, looking up from the newspaper in his hands, he swiftly turned to the door. Recognising the two visitors, his pale lips curved into a wide smile.

"Ah, hello! It's you two again." He hobbled around the counter and towards you. "I know it's been over a week but I believe you found the photocopier?"

"Yes, we did. Thanks for that!" You beamed.

"That's great to hear. So, how may I help you?"

You opened your mouth to initiate your sequence of questions about the town when the front page of the newspaper in the shopkeeper's hand caught your attention. Although it was a bit scrunched and indiscriminate from where you stood, you could barely make out a black-and-white image of the mayor's face...and your own.

"Excuse me, may I see that?"

"Ah, of course." He handed you the paper, which you inadvertently snatched due to the growing apprehension lodged in your throat. "I...had a feeling that I'd seen the young lady on the front page before."

You couldn't believe what you saw.

Stamped in bold across the top border of the flimsy paper was the title 'MAYOR'S SCANDAL WITH AN OUTSIDER!', followed by 'Find out more about this and other CRAZY events of the recent Yearly Arthurian Party in Page 5!' in a tiny font below. The monochrome photograph underneath had zoomed in on the mayor's blocky face, along with your own, and captured the exact moment he sloppily kissed your fingers.

You stormed towards the front desk and slammed the paper onto it, flipping to the fifth page with a ferocity that mildly tore the delicate edges. Once you reached it, what screamed at you was a garish double spread. Half of the space was dominated by images of you, the mayor, Gael and Asher, all photoshopped into a dramatic collage. The italicised and underlined subheadings consisted of: 'Surprise guests: why the hell were outsiders invited?!', 'Mayor spotted flirting with an outsider. Trying out new things, perhaps?' and 'Let's talk about Gael's "speech" for a second'.