chapter【4】

The whole lot of guests were hovering around you as you set out twelve plates, one for everybody. Most behind you were excited, mind one blonde who argued against this meal, stating that she was a vegan, and what you were doing was disgusting. The majority; however, were watching with eager eyes, licking their lips with stomachs growling lowly.

All of this, over a chicken.

You had only had a bit of its breast meat before covering it up back in the fridge, seeing as you had killed this little guy three days ago.

How exactly?

Well first, you had explained everything to everyone. Saying the reason you had more fruits and vegetables than junk food, was because of a large urban farm located about four miles away on foot. You told how you would head there once every week to tend to whatever foods you could, and feed the chickens they had there, seeing as the supply of chicken feed was enough to last five years.

Once everyone got equal parts of all the bird, you placed its carcass in a plastic bag, knotted it up, and disposed of the bird. Glancing down, you said a brief thank you out loud to the bird, knowing that it wasn't being killed for fun, or for a corporation, but to help you all continue to survive in this God-forsaken world.

"This is too good." Moaned out a happy Emcee as she dug in along with everyone else. Whenever someone thanked you for this meal, you just tossed a nod in their direction.

"Well, this is disgusting." Muttered a detestable Scarlett as she pushed her plate from her.

"Fine." You stood up, walking over to the food she didn't want to eat. Puckering your lips, you made kissing sounds as you rounded to your cat's bowl. "Leo."

Not even two seconds later, your skinny feline jumped up to the counter as you picked apart some chicken for him.

"Thank you, Scarlett. Leo was looking awfully thin... I hope this helps him bulk up." You nodded to her, smiling inwardly at Judy and Emcee's fixation on the kitty.

"You... you have a cat?" Inquired Hailey as she shifted closer to your pet.

"Yes. He's my sweet little boy."

"You welcome a cat in with open arms but take an hour to let us in? What are you fucking on?" Scarlett attempted to insult.

"I've had Leo since before the apocalypse began. Kept him alive and well this long, I can't stop now." You joked, turning back to the group. "If any of you are thirsty, just grab a plastic cup from this cupboard," you tapped the wooden surface. "and use the tap water..." Standing up, you ducked into your bathroom turning to the group. "If you need me, I'll be in the shower."

Now hidden behind a thin wooden door, you silently clicked on the tap, watching until the water ran clear. When you stepped in the water was its usual lukewarm temp. You washed and conditioned your hair with the crummy hotel-provided toiletries before finishing up by scrubbing your whole body.

Drying off your body and roughing up your hair with a towel, you slipped on your underwear, sweatpants, socks, and sports bra, pausing your dressing to detangle your hair. Once finished, you grabbed your shirt and prepped to slip into it, stopping short once you heard the beginning of a quarrel—quickly turned into a fracas. No longer giving two shits, you flung the bathroom door open and quickly assessed the situation. Bimbo was arguing with Sue.

"We need to follow Lawrence's plan! His is safer and we can't trust her!"

"Oh my fucking god, shut the hell up!" You hissed, barely above a whisper. This time you would be unforgiving. "If you do not zip your mouth right now, you will spend the night in the hallway."

All eyes remained on you as the only sound remaining was Leo's soft eating.

"(F/n), you... you're not wearing a shir-"

"Don't give a shit." You cut Zion off, gaze still burning on Scarlett. The blonde nodded, sitting down onto the little kitchen table in your room.

"Thank you."

With that, you spun on your heel and went back to the bathroom, leaving the door open as you slipped on your shirt before walking out to everyone once again.

"If anyone wants to take a brisk shower before we leave, do it now."