Chapter Four

Hermione sat on her couch looking around at the bare walls, taking in the dust that had gathered in the corners where she has sat tables. The couch was staying - it hadn't ever been a good piece and she was glad to see it go - but everything else of value had been packed up and either moved into storage or placed in her new home.

She placed a hand on her expanded stomach, feeling a light flutter of a kick, and smiled.

A lot had happened since the night of the Halloween party she attended with Draco. That Friday she had been invited over to the Burrow and on some crazy urge she had went. She was glad she had though, because it was that night she found out that Ron had thought she could have been pregnant - and he would have asked her to get rid of the baby.

"Can't have two babies by two different women at the same time, right?" He had said it a self deprecating joke, making her blood boil. She had known at the moment that he would never be allowed anywhere near her child, and she left even more sure of what she was about to do with Draco than she had ever been.

The next day they preformed the Blood Adoption.

It still amazed her that the baby inside her now carried Malfoy blood, and would be born into a world that was completely different than she had ever thought. Ron, while now a successful auror, still didn't make a lot of money. Sure, together they could have built a nice life, but nothing like what she was about to move in to.

Not that money was the most important thing, because if Ron had loved her she would have been happy.

At least, she had thought she would have been, though now she wasn't so sure. Ron, she was now seeing, was different than the man she thought he was. The version of the red head in her head would have never suggested "getting rid" of their baby, but it seemed the real version was just fine with the idea.

She hated to admit it, but when rumors started to fly about her and a certain blonde Healer, well, she added a pep to her step. Ron has actually stopped her the Friday to ask about it, to which she replied that all rumors had a strand of truth.

"Hey, is there anything else?" She jerked out of her daze to focus in on Malfoy, who had just stepped through the fireplace, Healer robes hanging off his left arm.

"No, I just came back through to check everything; all that's left is this couch."

He turned his nose up at the old piece, which prompted her to giggle. "Don't look like that - this old girl served her purpose well."

"Depends on your definition of 'well'" He grumbled as he made his was over to her and reached out a hand to help her up.

Once up she turned and looked around, drinking in one final look at her first apartment.

"I wish I could be there for your first day, honestly. I planned to be off but Jones and Barker called and-"

"It's all right ." She cut him off, offering him a small smile. "Seriously. I've been to your place plenty and I'll probably just end until napping until well into the evening."

Draco had officially finished his training and was now a certified Healer, working in the emergency department as the pediatric healer on staff. He shared the burden with three others which meant he had to work odd hours.

"Well, I'll bring home some dinner. I should be off by eight, if that isn't too late."

She let out a soft laugh. "Draco, look, I knew well in advance that your job is demanding and you won't be there to cater to my every beck and call - not that I would want you to anyways." She patted her tummy, which was finally starting to swell noticeably underneath her jumper.

"Okay, well, let's get you home and then I'll leave."

Together they entered the fireplace and quickly found themselves at Draco's - well, hers too now - house. She had always assumed that he lived at his family's manor, but he had revealed that he left that place as soon as he could.

Of course, it was no mere house. The first time she saw the sprawling mansion she laughed, which of course caused Draco to look at her rather oddly, but it was just so fitting that he would leave one manor for, basically, another one.

Thankfully this one held no bad memories, nor dungeon with dark magical items that could harm her or her baby.

"Are you sure you're going to be okay?"

Hermione turned and gave Draco an exasperated look. "Of course I will be. I've lived on my own for years and helped defeat the Dark Lord - I think a few hours alone in a new place won't test my limits."

He turned a bit pink and she held back a giggle - seriously, a giggle? How old was she! - "Thank you for caring, though. I promise I'll be fine."

He stared at her for a moment before nodding and stepping back into the fireplace.

After he left she made her way to her room - a huge area that was twice the size of her old bedroom - and collapsed on the queen size bed. She shouldn't be as exhausted as she was, but she just couldn't seem to keep her eyes open.

As she drifted off to sleep she dreamed of the day Draco forever sealed himself as part of her life. She hadn't ever been around blood magic being performed, and she hated to say that it was incredibly attractive to see him speak so confidently. He had held her hand the entire time, and she could have sworn she felt part of him travel through their connected hands and into her very being.

She slipped off into a deep sleep, one hand resting on the baby she now shared with Draco.

..00..

She woke to a gentle pressure on her shoulder.

She blinked, taking on the darkness of the room, and squinted to make out the figure sitting on the bed next to her.

"Mm, Draco?" She murmured, voice thick with sleep.

"Yeah. I brought some Chinese; are you hungry?"

She yawned, stretching as she did so. "I'm too sleepy to know, but I'm sure once I wake up I will be." She gave him a smile, though she didn't know if he could see it in the dark.

"Come on then."

He got up and reached a hand out to help her out of bed. Even in her sleep fogged brain she felt weird being led out of bed by Draco.

He had sat the food up in the sitting room and the fire roared, warming the room up nicely.

They sat in companionable silence, each enjoying the food and company.

That was, until the fireplace flared and a strange head appeared.

"Healer Malfoy, you are needed at the hospital. Mass injury - code black."

He jumped up, pulling his robes off the back of the chair and pulling them on. "I'll be right there."

The head disappeared, leaving her staring at Draco. "Code black?"

He made his way next to her and dropped a kiss to the top of her head. "It's bad, I have to go. I promise to fill you in later." With that he walked out of the room to the fireplace that was connected to the floo network.

She stared at where he had been moments before and wondered what he would be walking into. She laid her head back against the chair, realizing she was in for a long night.