Chapter Six

Two days later found Hermione trying (and failing) to avoid Draco.

The first day he had been gone by the time she woke up, and it was well into the night before he made it home.

She had been conveniently holed up in her room by that time.

The second day was much harder, as she had to leave the house right after he did in order to make it to work on time. She had almost timed it right, but she rounded the corner just as he disappeared through the floo. Seeing his face sent butterflies all around her stomach, bringing back memories of his kiss.

That was why she was useless today - it had to be.

She sighed for the hundredth time before laying her quill down and deciding that it was time to call it quits. She stacked all the files she had laying on her desk up and moved them to the locked cabinet beneath her. Sitting back up she rubbed her stomach absentmindedly, wondering how long she could get away with keeping her pregnancy a secret.

Probably not much longer, she thought to herself. She already had to use glamours to keep it hidden and she really didn't want to have to keep that up for much longer. She knew she would have to suck it up and talk to Draco, but the mere thought of him brought a blush to her cheeks.

A knock at the door brought her out of her musings and she glanced down to make sure her stomach was hidden by her desk before she called for the person to come in.

She blinked several times as she stared at the blonde head that hovered in the doorway, looking more unsure than she had ever seen him look.

"I, uh, that's to say" he broke off with a shake of his head before stepping further inside and shutting the door behind him. "I figured if we want this to be believable then we'll have to be seen together and what man would let his pregnant fiancée travel home by herself." He finished with a shrug, a slight pink tinge to his cheeks.

She stared, not knowing what to say. No one had ever come to see her home and she couldn't wrap her mind around the fact that Draco Malfoy was the first person to do so.

All thoughts of embarrassment faded as she gave him a genuine smile before getting up and walking over to where he stood, reaching up to wrap her arms around his neck in a tight hug. She felt his arms go automatically around her waist and she pulled back enough to look up at his face. "Thank you, Draco."

Why she had avoided him for the past days suddenly seemed silly, as if something as small as a kiss could make her afraid to be around this man.

His arms tightened around her and she laid her head on his chest, just underneath his collarbone. It felt right, being in his arms, and he made her feel like he would take care of every hard thing life would throw at her. She felt protected and cherished, and she wondered why she allowed herself to ever even mess with Ronald Weasley. He was nothing compared to the man who seemed able to do the very thing the red head couldn't - be there for her.

She pulled back and dropped her arms, missing his heat as he let her go and stepped back.

"I thought you were working until tonight?" She questioned, knowing he had told her that a few days ago.

He shrugged. "Nothing was going on and my supervisor felt bad that I had worked so much back to back. I think he was afraid I would mess something major up, but I'll take it. I'm exhausted."

And he was. Now that she looked at him he had bluish purple smudges under his eyes and he was paler than normal, sure signs that he had been going on not enough sleep. She grabbed his hand and picked up her bag from her desk before gesturing to the door and saying, "let's go home."