Chapter Seventeen - The End

Five years later....

Hermione groaned, rubbing in vain at the ache in her lower back in hopes that it would go away. She had spent way too long hunched over the pile of documents that her secretary had brought in, but she needed to get the last bit done before May.

"Mrs. Malfoy?"

She looked up to see Thomas, the foundation's childcare coordinator, standing in the doorway.

"Thomas! Come in. Goodness, how many times have I asked you to call me Hermione?"

"Ah, Mrs- eh, Hermione." He said with a laugh as he sat down. "You know it's hard for me to do that."

She shook her head and rubbed her swollen belly. "I know, but we've worked together for the last four years."

He grinned at her. "That's true."

"Anyways, what do you need?"

He laid down a stack of parchment and began the never ending task of going through the new applications.

The foundation had always been her dream and four years ago it began a reality. Together with her small staff they helped families of Muggleborns adapt to their new life, as well as gave them insight to the wizardering world that she never got. They also worked with her old department at the Ministry to help those who come from abusives homes and worked to find families to take them in. It gave her a sense of purpose and still gave her the ability to be there for Athena and the new baby.

The new baby. After Thomas left she gently rubbed at her belly. They had just found out that it would be a little boy. The joy that she felt almost overwhelmed her at times. It felt like she had longed for this life for so long and now that it was a reality it seemed almost too good to be true.

Glancing at the clock on the wall she saw that it was past five and began to gather her things. Athena's nanny would be wanting to get home and she wanted to start on the new recipe she had found.

A quick trip through the floo and she was standing in the living room of her and Draco's home.

"Mummy!" A small child with platinum blonde hair cake running to her, demanding to be picked up.

"Thena, sweetie! Have you been good for Ms. Mary?" She hugged her daughter closer, enjoying the feel of her baby in her arms.

"Of course she was!" Ms. Mary said as she finally came around the corner.

Hermione thanked her and Ms. Mary gathered her things and left, leaving her and her daughter alone.

"Why don't you go get washed up and you can help Mummy with dinner?" She sat her child down and watched as she scampered away.

She made her way to the kitchen and out down her bag in the corner, a framed photo catching her eye. She moved closer and smiled as she reached out and ran a hand down the frame. The photo was taken the day after their lawyer had handed over the news that everything had gone according to plan. Three days later Ron appeared at their door one last time to inform them that he would be moving to the States and wouldn't bother them again. It had been the first time Hermione had seen Ron look like the boy she once knew, and she had sincerely thanked him. Draco May never wish him well, but Hermione did.

Far away from her and her family, but she did wish him well.

Life had calmed down after that and they settled into a routine. Narcissa would occasionally take Athena for the weekend to allow them time alone and while Hermione knew they would never be close, she was thankful for the love the older woman had for her daughter.

"Mummy! I'm all clean!"

Hermione turned and smiled. "Good! Daddy will be home soon so we need to get to work so he doesn't try to help!"

One thing she had learned was Draco wasn't the best cook. He tried, but her stomach could only take so much.

"Oh yes, we must mummy!"

They got to cooking and soon the kitchen smelled delicious, at least in Hermione's opinion. She had just began to put the food onto the plates when Draco emerged from the fireplace.

"Daddy!" Food forgotten, Athena ran to meet her father at the fireplace, jumping into his arms.

"Hey sweetie!" He said as he held her tight before putting her down.

He sat his things down and came over to give Hermione a kiss. "Dinner smells wonderful, love, but you know I would have helped."

She smiled up at him. "I know, but Athena was a big help."

"Were you a big help for mummy?" He asked as he turned to a grinning Athena.

"I was daddy!"

"You're such a good little girl. Let me run upstairs and change and then I can't wait to try it!"

A few hours later, after Athena's bedtime routine, Draco and Hermione found themselves kissing up the stairs, trying to hold in their giggles. Draco finally gave up and pulled her close and kissing her deeply.

They broke apart and smiled at one another after their son gave a kick strong enough for his daddy to feel it.

"He's going to be a strong one." Draco said as he reached out a hand to rub it across her belly.

"Just like his daddy."

Draco kissed her forehead and together they made their way to their bedroom.

Later that night, as Hermione watched Draco sleep, she thought back on past five years, from the day Draco found her outside the gala. She hadn't had any idea what direction her life was about to take, but she would be eternally grateful for everything she had been given.

Life may not be perfect, but this life was perfectly hers and she planned to never take one day for granted.

She snuggled down into her husbands arms and allowed herself to drift off to sleep, knowing that she finally had found what she had always been looking for.

..00.

I. Can't. Believe. It's. Over.

I started this story three years ago in 2017 and never believed that I would actually finish. I'm eternally grateful for everyone who has taken the time to read, upvote, and comment - it's you guys that have kept me going. This story has seen me through job changes, my death of my grandmother, the births of both of my nephews, and so many more things. It will always hold such a special place in my heart.

I hope everyone has enjoyed this ride and I hope you'll stick around for my future Dramione stories. I actually have a new one in the works that should be out next week.

Thank you all again ♥️