Chapter Fourteen

Happy Friday!

We're starting the end spiral now, so since everyone has been so amazing and supportive I wanted to let you know that I may have a new Dramione story coming out this weekend!

Draco tried to control the rage he felt, pushing the dark thoughts to the back of his mind as he went about his rounds.

It has been two weeks since Ron had first shown up at his home and the man had continued to pound on their door every evening. Hermione tried to block it out, but he could tell how it messed with her.

"Healer Malfoy."

He shoved his planner in the bag he took to work with him, hearing the pounding as if he was home.

"Healer Malfoy."

He had written to his mother and she had requested that he floo to the Manor after his shift. He hadn't wanted to leave Hermione, knowing without a doubt that Ron would be back once again, but he knew his mother was one of the few people he could trust to help him.

"Healer Malfoy!"

He jerked his head around to see that a mediwitch has been calling his name. "Sorry."

She huffed as she held out a chart for him to sign off on. He held back his eye roll and signed his name quickly, glad to see the woman leave him alone.

He glanced up at the clock and saw that his shift was nearing the end, so he made his way to the central desk and began going through the charts of the patients he had seen throughout the day. He finished just as the time ticked over to the next hour and he let out a sigh of relief, quickly organizing everything and telling the lead healer that he would see her in the morning.

When he arrived at Malfoy Manor his mother was waiting for him, sipping a glass of wine as if life was completely normal. Then again, with everything she had been through, he supposed it was.

"Mother." He greeted as he moved closer and bent down to kiss her on the cheek. Her blond hair was the same as always, though to his eye she did appear a bit thinner.

"Draco, dear, I'm glad you're as punctual as ever." She set her glass down and twisted around to face him when he sat down on the sofa.

"Of course, Mother. I wouldn't want to keep you waiting."

"Hmm." She crossed her legs. "So, tell me what has you worked up into a tizzy."

Straight to the point, like always. He thought to himself, though in this instance he was thankful for it. "It's about Hermione and Athena."

"Oh, I just do love that name. Tell me, when am I going to be able to see my only grandchild?"

"Mother, the baby is biologically Ron Weasley's." He waited for the disapproval.

"Well, dear, I knew she couldn't be yours."

He blinked. "What? But-"

"Of shush. If you had been seeing Hermione long enough to conceive a child I would have known. You only spoke to her in a work capacity, so I knew there was no way for you to have been the one to knock the girl up." She picked up her glass and took another sip, glaring at him above the rim. "I wondered when you were going to say something."

"I adopted her by blood."

"I had assumed. If you hadn't she would have no doubt ending up looking like a classic Weasley. Now, why don't you tell me something I hadn't already figured out."

"He, Weasley, has figured out that Athena is his and demands to see her. He comes by the house every day."

"Oh dear, how did he find you home?" She flapped a thin hand about. "Not that that matters now, because he did. I assume you made the blood contract as well?"

"Of course. I knew that it was one of the more important things I needed to do."

"Well then, take it to the Ministry - but make sure you give it directly to Ames Locklear, he's an old family friend and won't air any of our laundry - and tell the Weasley to muck off."

He straightened. "That's it?"

"Of course. Regardless of what the other man says, the child is yours now. Old blood laws will always win in the end. I'm sure even his mother and father know of blood adoption, so he should as well."

He slumped again. "He'll keep coming back."

"Twinkie!" His mother suddenly called, and a small house elf appeared.

"Yes, Mistress! Twinkie is here!"

"Please fetch the present I left in the drawing room, and bring a basket of the muffins that were prepared earlier." She commanded.

"Yes! Right away!" The elf disappeared once more.

"Now, take the gift home and share it with you wife. The muffins were also your childhood favorite, if I recall correctly. Take your adoption contract to the Ministry first thing in the morning, and tell Weasley to leave you alone."

Twinkie reappeared, holding out a small wrapped gift and a basket of what he assumed were muffins. "Here you go!"

He took them and thanked her, turning back to his mother. "I feel like that's too simple of an answer."

"I do suppose that your word may not be enough to drive that Weasley away." She sighed. "Give my advice a go and once the contract is filed we can discuss this further if need be. How about you bring your family by this Saturday?"

He almost moved to suggest her coming to his home, but she held up a hand before he could. "Draco, the Manor will go to you when your father passes, so please don't stay away. Actually, it may do you both some good to get away for a weekend. We can discuss this further and you won't have to worry about that man upsetting your wife."

"Mother, you know what happened to her here."

"And the room is nothing like it was before. I seriously doubt that a home will be too much for her, if she's half as strong as I think she is."

He was shocked, unable to say anything. What his mother just said was incredibly high praise.

"Be here Saturday for breakfast. I want to meet my daughter in law in better circumstances and to finally meet my granddaughter."

He found he could only agree.