Chapter Fifteen

Hermione made one last ditch effort to smooth back her curls before sighing. This is as good as it's going to get, she said to herself before smiling at the site of Draco entering their bedroom with Athena in his arms.

"Your hair is perfect the way it is, stop worrying." He said as he came up behind her.

It wasn't the first time that she wondered why he always seemed to know what she needed to hear, and her stupid heart began to race at the thought that maybe, just maybe, he had feelings for her that weren't tied to her - their - daughter or getting his family name back into society's good graces.

"I just want to make a good impression." She muttered as she reached for Athena to allow Draco to finish getting ready.

She turned to see him shrug a dark green robe over his grey shirt and she hated once again how her heart sped up when she saw him.

"You will, don't worry." He bent and made a face at Athena and grinned as she cooed at him. "Look! She smiled!"

She didn't have the heart to tell him that she had been doing that a lot lately, so she only smiled back at him.

"You ready?" He asked as he straightened.

"As ready as I'll ever be." She said with a deep breathe.

"Let's go then! Come on Athena, it's time to meet your grandmother Cissy."

He led them downstairs and to the massive fireplace that they used as their connection to the floo network and she covered Athena's nose as he threw some powdered down. She blinked a few times as they arrived at Malfoy Mansion and was surprised that she didn't feel any apprehension at being back at the place that she was tortured at. She hadn't said anything, wanting to appear strong, but she had worried what would happen when she stepped foot back in that place.

It seemed that she was stronger than she had given herself credit for.

"Ah, good, you're on time Draco dear." She glanced up to see a blonde woman come flouncing into the room, wrapping her arms around Draco.

Draco wrapped his arms around his mother and patted her back. "Wouldn't dream of ever being late, Mother."

Hermione stood still, wanting to blend in and pretend this was all over. She didn't know why she wanted Narcissa's approval, but she did. She refused to even think about what that meant about her feelings for her husband, so she took a deep breathe and placed a lid around those thoughts.

"And this is the woman who gave birth to my granddaughter."

Hermione's eyes widened a bit in shock and she could only stare as the petit blonde woman walked closer and opened her arms to take Athena. She slowly reached over and allowed her to take her daughter and was caught completely off guard when Narcissa closed her eyes and a tear fell down her cheek. She looked over at Draco who had the same stunned expression she was sure that was on her face and they watched the older woman hold their daughter close.

"Oh, I had begun to believe I'd never hold another precious baby again."

Some time later Narcissa had composed herself and the group had made their way to the sitting room, Athena still held in the older woman's arms.

"I believe we have a small problem that we must deal with."

Hermione looked away from her daughter and met her mother in law's eyes. "I- that is..."

"Draco dear, did you file the contract as I instructed?" She asked as she turned to her son.

"Yes, of course, gave it straight to Ames Locklear."