Chapter Sixteen

Merry Christmas to all who celebrate! I hope you guys have a wonderful holiday season!

I wanted to get a chapter out as my gift to all your wonderful support with this story, so I hope everyone enjoys!

..00..

Hermione woke in a daze, feeling content even though she wasn't even awake enough to know why. She buried into her pillow, curling herself into a ball before stretching out again. Something warm shifted behind her, moving to pull her closer to what she now knew was another person. In bed with her.

Her eyes flew open as she turned around to see the still sleeping face of her husband. The night before came back to her and her stomach clinched as she thought back.

"Hermione, you're right. We are married." He whispered before lowering his head and sealing his lips to hers.

She had eagerly returned his kiss, curling her arms around his neck as his settled on her waist. He had backed her up until she found herself sitting back on the bed before he laid her down, stretching her arms above her head.

Hermione felt her cheeks heat in memory and she brought a hand up to her mouth to stifle her gasp.

She needed to get ahold of herself! She was a grown, married woman with a child for heaven's sake!

Looking back at her husband she stared at his profile lit by the moonlight shining through the open balcony and she was once again reminded how thankful she was to be a witch; open windows that those outside couldn't see into.

He looked much younger in his sleep, without the lines of worry that his job brought. His hair was a right mess and she couldn't help reaching out to smooth some back. Her heart clenched and she bit her lip as she realized that what she had felt last night was true - she was well and truly in love with her husband. She had thought it for some time, but with the arrival of Athena her feelings had been pushed back as worry for her daughter took first place. Truly, she almost didn't want to think of how she felt - after all, she had loved once and gotten her heart broken. Could a still healing heart even be capable of loving someone?

She thought back to all he had down for her, even before their marriage. He had changed in the years since the war and she would be lying if she said she hadn't noticed. How could she when she had seen first hand how caring he was to his patients?

But did she want to risk her heart once again? Did she even have a choice?

Common sense told her that she was a fool if she did, but when did that ever win out? She wanted to be loved by Draco. She wanted to continue to build a life with him, to believe that he wanted the same. She knew he loved her - their - daughter and that he would do anything for her.

But does he love you? The traitorous voice whispered.

Did he?

She was so wrapped up in her thoughts that she didn't notice the man in question waking up, and missed the soft smile that pulled at his lips. She was so caught up in her own mind that she jumped slightly when he pulled her closer, dropping a kiss on her shoulder.

"You're thinking would loud I can't sleep." He murmured in a sleep thickened voice. The sound made her toes curl.

She stared up at him without saying anything, prompting him to pull her even closer. "What could possibly cause you so much stress? Do you regret last night?"

It was amazing how open and honest he was, something she herself struggled with. Could she be just as open as him?

"I feel like I should, but I can't seem to find a way to." There, she did it.

His eyebrows scrunched together at that. "Why do you think you should?"

She turned to her side so she could face him. "Because I'm afraid of getting close to you only to wake up one day and realize that you weren't as invested in us as I am."

"Mione, you silly witch." He then rolled her onto her back and held himself above her.

He gently leaned down and kissed her softly, supporting himself with one arm and caressing her face with the other. Her hands moved on their own and held his face as she gave herself into the kiss.

Pulling away just enough so that his lips ghosted over hers, he whispered, "I've loved you for a very long time."

Her eyes flew open and stared into his. "What?"

He smiled, and she felt it more than saw it, before placing a quick kiss to her lips. "Mhm. Before I knew you were pregnant, before I knew anything really. Why did you think I'd offer to marry you?"

She stared up at him in shock, unable to say anything. He simply looked down at her with a small smile. "Ah, I've rendered the great Hermione speechless."

She met his eyes and knew that he was being truthful. Her heart fluttered and she finally allowed a smile to pull at her mouth.

He kissed her forehead. "Hermione, this - us - is exactly what I want. I wanted to give you space to get accustomed to me, which is why I always held myself back." He grinned down at her. "So, you don't have to worry about being more invested, because you've had my heart for a very long time. I know everything that happened with Ron has left a scar, but if you let me I'll try my best to heal it."

She pushed herself up and kissed him, pulling him down so that almost nothing separated them. He kissed her back while he moved to grab at the hand that she had at his jaw, holding it with his.

This. This is what she wanted her life to be like. She wanted Draco by her side, with Athena and any other children they may have. She wanted nights like this that led to mornings that are filled with food and laughter.

She pulled back just enough to whisper, "you already healed the scar.", before returning to the kiss once more. Then, there wasn't any more words spoken.