Ragnar

The sound of water thrashing. The feeling of sharp metal under her palms, digging cuts into her hands. The burning sensation of soap, but the sharpness of glass, was how her eyes felt of salt water, and whatever else the waves had to offer. The taste of vomit, salt, and dirt, in her mouth. She barely noticed by the fact she couldn't breath, if not for a second of air every time the water rushed over her head. Over and over and over, until one giant wave, breathing in water on accident, filling her lungs.

Feeling her stomach tighten, she woke up in a sweat, coughing up her "water filled" lungs from her nightmare. She sat up. The feeling of sweat rolling down her back, wiping it off with her arm and walking over to her suit case. She whipped off the stupid night gown she was given, however nice it was, it was hot. She put on some soft, almost baggy, gym shorts; a sweatshirt, and some sneakers and socks.

Her legs wobbled like she was drunk, almost falling at one point. Making a very loud clunking sounds. She put herself agents the wall and slid down and put her head in her hands and sobbed lightly.

She could have died, they could have died, every time she slept she was reminded that is what could've happened. A reminder of the fear that coursed through her in those moments the same fear that caused her to pump adrenaline in her veins, that allowed her not to feel her wounds, adrenaline so powerful, it made her body go numb, only feeling the pressure.

"Heill!." A tall bald man, with a long beard said.

"Heill!" She said remembering it meant something close to hello.

"ertu vel?" He tilted his head while asking

"I don't speak your language."

"Ah, you are English."

"Not really."

"You do not look it." He said looking at her face."tell me, what is a not English but English speaking, not looking English girl, doing in Kattagat... and in little clothing. You either were trying to be quick or dull minded."

"I just wanted some water." Was all she said as he sat down beside her.

"You came to Kattagat for water?"

"No, I meant tonight."

"Ah, you still have to answer my first question."

"It was by accident, you could say we were hit by a storm and landed here. I'm from a place called America."

"Ah. Aslaug must know something of this witch craft."

"She does, and had befriended me to her sons."

"That is not a bad idea to be acquainted with the sons of Ragnar, even if they are spoiled."

"They are nice people, they have been very nice."

"That is because you are pretty."

"You don't just take care of some else's family because you think they are pretty. I'd like to think they are nice. Besides Ivar helped me even before knowing who I was."

"Ivar? And how did a cripple help you?"he said almost laughing

"Well my foot was stuck in a trap, and he broke it off. Then proceeded to bring me to Aslaug because I was talking like a crazy person."

"Haha he is very strong."

"He's a great conversationalist."

The bald man cocked his head in question.

"He is good at talking."

"What about Sigurd, Ubbe, Hvitserk?"

"Hvitserk fancy's my friend, Sigurd and I don't converse that much but when I ask he'll do most things without a problem, Ubbe is a big help too, he has helped me gather different items and foods. He helps translate when I go to the marketplace."

"Perhaps they don't just see a piece of ass, or that is all they see."

"They are good people, besides I've heard from Ivar that they share a slave called Margret. He says that she has a nice body, but a dull mind." She said rolling her eyes.

"Haha, perhaps you are jealous."

"What? No. Sure Ivar is handsome and strong and nice but we are just friends."

"But he is a cripple. I see."

"No, god...gods no. I just don't know if I like him that much, we've only known each other a few days!"

"Haha I've known a woman for less than that and we have fucked."

"Fair, but it's not like that from where I come... well most of the time..."

"Ha, people aren't that different, no matter where they are from."

"You're not wrong, but don't say that freely, Ivar told me that you could get hurt from saying that."

"I am a crazy old man, they don't care what I have to say, however my son is right, it is not wise to speak like that, people will think you speak agents the gods, that can get you killed as an outsider."

"Your son? Ivar is your son, is that what you said?"

"Yes."

"But Ragnar Lothbrok is his father."

"Yes."

".....Fuck..... Your Ragnar aren't you.....Fuuuck I just ranted about Rangnars sons in front of Ragnar. Shit please don't tell them I said all that , it would be super embarrassing." She but her hands over her mouth. "Oh my god I'm talking to a king! How do I greet you, do I bow, do I address you differently?"

"No, Ragnar is just fine." He said smiling ear to ear.

"My name is Maeve Winters."

"So I have heard, tell me are you a witch."

" I don't believe so."

"Then how is it that you are at one side of the town you are picking flowers, and when I reach the other, you are picking up shells?"

" I tend to move very fast, I used to be praised for how fast I could be."

"So you have the legs of a horse and my son has none, it is a perfect match!"

"You sound like Foki's wife."

"I bet I do!"

They stay in silence, and she looked at him. He was old, and tired. He looked like a corpse walking.

"Why are you back in Kattegat?" She asked softly

"To say goodbye, I might not get to, death spites me. I need to travel back to England but no one will join me... not even my sons."

"Have you asked Ivar?"

"Why would I?"

"If not to spend time with him before the Saxons kill you, to tell the others the Saxons killed you."

"How do you know that is what will happen?"

"Like I said , I believe I'm not a witch, but I'm not certain." She said as a joke towards herself

"Will Ivar die?"

"No, he's much stronger than you give him credit for. He sees himself as a cripple, and how is a son of Ragnar supposed to become great if he believes himself nothing more than a cripple?" She almost sounded angry when she spoke at him.

"Tell me, all knowing witch." He made a had gesture to continue her rant.

She turned to him, standing up but still looking him in the eye.

"If his father tells him he's not, and actually believes it."

She turned on her heel and walked to her original destination. She needed a fucking glass of water.