Chapter 3: Living

Sleep began to fade away from my mind, graciously returning my consciousness. The first thing I noticed was the warmth on my cheek that was accented by a steady up and down motion. Something was cradling me, wrapped around my body and resting against my lower back to keep my supported. The faint snores of someone were sometimes interrupted by soft growls or mumbling, the masculine voice sounding almost childlike. Our legs were intertwined, my foot delicately touching theirs as if we both got cold while sleeping.

I lifted my head and let my eyes flutter open, squinting at first from the light that poured in from the open curtains. Sunlight fell on our bodies, illuminating the tan face of my patient from last night. "Garou!" My eyes went wide with realization, my heart pounding wildly without my consent. A bit of drool had slipped out of his open mouth that was wide open from his snores. His wild grey hair was messier than usual, suffering from a common case of bedhead.

A quiet giggle escaped my lips, a look of endearment playing on my face; I couldn't deny that he looked adorable in such a vulnerable state. Before I could stop myself, I had bunched up my sleeve and was wiping away the drool. I finished the motion by letting the tips of my fingers trail across his cheek, subconsciously smiling. Before I could pull my hand away, his left arm flew up, grabbing my wrist.

His eyes flew open, the childish innocence from only seconds ago gone in a flash. I no longer felt the sleepy comfort of morning, my heart not beating from entrancement, but rather from fear. "What do you think that you're doing?" His low voice was lethally serious and my mouth went dry.

"Well... I, umm... There was drool on your face and I... I wiped it off is all..." Garou glared at me from down below, his grip tightening on my wrist. "Really?"

"Y-Yeah! That's all!" My voice squeaked, leaving me to swallow down my shame along with my fear. There was a pause, leaving the living room in complete silence, when his face broke into a grin and he began to chuckle. "You're hilarious! Your face was priceless, you looked terrified!" His shoulders shook as he continued to laugh while my ears burned. "Hey! That's not fair, Garou! You're too scary looking to play with me like that!"

"Aww, c'mon! I was just joking around!" Garou placed his palm on my head, giving me a small pat. I stubbornly turned my cheek, trying to suppress my smile. Unable to hold in my giggles, I sat up and slid off of the couch. "Wait, where are you going?" Garou reached for my hand, trying to pout, but his naturally rugged features made it hard; still, he managed to it off.

I felt my cheeks warm slightly, the idea of him wanting me almost intoxicating. Still, I pulled my hand away from his loose grasp with a gentle smile. "I'm going to make us some tea, okay?" He mumbled something as I walked into the kitchen, still shaking off the morning drowsiness. I began to boil some water and pulling out the tea bags when I caught sight of the time that flashed on my microwave. "It's 9:16 already? Well, I guess it'll be okay if I get there at open. It's Sunday after all, so we won't be serving customers until 10."

I poured the hot water into two mugs, dunking the tea bags and tying them to the handles of the cups. As I was carrying the drinks back to the living room, I got a weird feeling that I was missing something. "TODAY'S NOT SUNDAY!" I practically slammed the cups down onto the table, Garou jerking up at the sudden noise. "Wha?! Huh?!" He glanced around frantically, his eyes still half-lidded.

"Shit, shit, shit...." I was already running back to my room, throwing on some clothes and rushing into the bathroom. After brushing my teeth, I fixed my hair in a messy style, and was running out of the door. "Whoa! Y/n, where are you going?!" Garou shouted after me, chasing me down the hallway until he caught me just before I had made it to the elevator. 

He made me turn around to face him, his head cocked to the side. "Garou, let me go! I'm so late for work, I'm gonna get killed!" Garou let go of my wrist only to clamp down on my shoulders, preventing me from struggling any longer. "Y/n, chill. I think you got a call about that earlier this morning, but some guy said that it was fine and that you have the day off."