Chapter 9: Why Can't I Know?

hi everyone!!! sorry for the long wait for this update, i've just had no time to write because of school (눈_눈) yeah, hopefully the next update will be sooner, but i seriously doubt it lol. anyways, much love lovelies!!! xoxo peachy <3

I spent the rest of my shift sulking while Makoto constantly tried to comfort me, insisting that whatever happened wasn't my fault. "Don't worry, Y/n-chan, I'm sure that everything will work out, okay?" Two had rolled around and now my senpai was trying to cox me into walking out from the backroom. A sigh passed through my lips, the heaviness on my chest becoming more and more annoying. No matter how much I wanted to be stubborn and stay back, a sinking sensation of discomfort was whelming inside of me; the fact that we left off like that made me feel... Bad. Just bad.

"Y/n-chan, stop acting like a child. Just get out there already." Haruhi called out to me, peaking through the door that lead to the backroom. "I'm coming!" Shoving my apron into my locker, I grabbed my bag and got up to glare at her. She merely shrugged me off, already walking back out into the cafe.

Garou slouched against the wall by the door, brooding. His eyes narrowed slightly when they met mine; I still had no idea what made him so mad earlier, but his attitude was starting to piss me off. Then I noticed his gaze was going past me, the glare focused on something behind me. I glanced back to see Makoto helping an elderly woman at the counter with a smile. "Ah, that's what he's looking at."

"Garou, are you ready?" I gently touched his arm, snapping him out of his trance. The look on his face stayed the same as his attention turned toward me, but the anger in his irises was replaced by a certain type of playful annoyance. "I mean, I've been waiting for forever, so yeah! Let's hurry up and leave already," He grabbed my hand, practically dragging me out of the store before I could get my bearings.

I glanced back with a grin, waving to my coworkers; Makoto looked up from the register to wave back, while Haruhi simply raised her hand, her back still facing towards me as she worked away on the espresso machine. The bells jingled as we walked out, Garou still dragging me around. My feet were somehow managing to stay untangled as I stumbled, trying my best to keep up with his quick pace. "Garou, can you-"

I was about to ask for a change of pace, literally, but he whipped around at his name, abruptly stopping. My momentum brought me right into his chest, face first, our hands still clasped together. A cliche moment, sure, but it still made me feel fluttery on the inside. His clothes smelled like the detergent from a nearby coin laundry that I had used before, but it was mellowed by his natural scent.

I took another breath of the combination, nestling deeper into him; my previous annoyance melted away with each puff of air as I let myself be overcome with a fuzzy warmth. I squeezed his hand a little tighter, savoring the unique feeling of his callouses against my palm. It was something that I had never really felt before I met Garou.

"Umm, Y/n?"

"Give me a sec, you're ruining the moment. You owe me anyways." I placed my free hand against his chest and listened to his pounding heart. "Is he nervous?" A low growl rumbled from his throat, but there weren't any words of protest. I giggled softly at his strange submissiveness, taking one final deep breath before I pulled my head away and opened my eyes to see a pink faced Garou.

"So... So what exactly did I do to have that as my punishment?" Garou scowled, desperately trying to mask his embarrassment. My lips pulled into a pout as I raised an eyebrow, astounded that he would ask such a question. "Hello? What happened not even an hour ago? And then the way you were acting when we left? Trust me, that was not your punishment."

Garou chuckled as we started walking again, this time side by side and at a much more comfortable pace. "Oh really? Then what will be, huh?" His teasing tone made my face go hot while I fantasized what he could be asking for. "An apology!" The words stuttered out before I could really think about them.