Chapter sixteen

"I didn't know whether to call or not Adam. I wasn't sure if you would remember me. I'm not disturbing you am I?" Sally's heart pounded in her chest with nerves.

"No...not at all. Don't be silly. I'm glad you did. It's been a while."

"Yes, I've been busy...you know...getting the children back to school and all. You mentioned you would like to meet someday maybe for lunch. Is that offer still open?"

"Yes, certainly...that would be good...where are you?"

"I'm in Sacramento."

"Oh, okay. I can be there for lunch tomorrow if you like?"

"You'll come here?"

"Yeah, I can be there by tomorrow morning. Tell me the name of a nice place to eat and I'll make a reservation. You know the restaurants better than I do. I'll call you when I get in and I can pick you up."

"I would prefer to meet you there," she pretended to laugh, "I don't know you all that well, do I? I know a place where the food is good and we can talk. I'll give you the address if you like."

"Sounds great then...see you there."

"Okay...bye."

Sally hung up the phone and left her hand resting on the handset and then realized that she had hardly breathed the whole conversation. She sucked in a lung full of air before turning to Ted. He took off his listening device and turned the recording machine off.

"Very good, you're a natural at this sort of thing. He's quite a traveler...he's in Africa."

Already Sally was looking forward to the lunch date. Hearing his deep laid-back voice again sparked something within her which had lain dormant since the episode on the beach.

"And don't forget to remove your wedding ring," her husband added drolly.

***

Sally stood outside the grand tudorbethan building on Capital Avenue at precisely noon, looking stunning in a simple sleeveless red dress with a white shawl draped over her shoulders, feeling like a nervous teenager. Her husband insisted that she wear a wire but she had absolutely refused, saying that he would have to trust what she had to say at the debriefing after the meeting.

In front of her were two elegant glass doors trimmed in white with small flower boxes at their base on either side. To her right on the wall was a plaque with Biba inscribed into the polished bronze surface, presumably in the handwriting style of the Italian owner. She had chosen this restaurant carefully and Ted's raised eyebrows when she mentioned the name to Adam hadn't escaped her notice. Firstly it was one of Sacramento's finest and most expensive. She was going to enjoy the dining experience even if her 'date' was technically unavailable. And most importantly she knew that here she would not meet anyone in her circle of friends saving any embarrassing 'how is your husband?' questions. Even so she instructed the taxi driver to drop her off discreetly around the corner on 28th Street just to be sure. And there was a third reason why she chose Biba; a personal reason. She had intentionally set him a test. To get into a place like this for lunch, as was the case with all fine eateries in Sacramento, you needed a reservation particularly towards the end of the week. She had half expected to find him waiting outside suggesting another establishment.

Once she entered through the glass doors she spotted Adam immediately, already seated. She was impressed. He had not only secured a table at such short notice but also a table which was privately located in the lounge dining room. He was obviously a man with influence, or a persuasive personality, which she liked. He was punctual as well - another tick. He stood to receive her and seated her beside him. She did her best to avoid his attempt at a kiss.