Chapter Five: The Rohirrim and Into Fangorn

Aragorn turned to Cy, "What past did you have there that you are pale and terrified?"

"I do not wish to speak of it. That place is cursed to me, and I wish to never return." Then her voice dropped down to a whisper, "It should be torn down, and Fangorn should cover it's rubble with his trees. Never again should any live there."

Aragorn looked her strangely, but said nothing. We continued on, through the night. 

In the morning, the sky was a pinkish red, and the sun was as well.

"A red sun rises. Blood has been spilled this night."

We continued running. Aragorn paused to look at tracks on the ground and I heard the sounds of neighing and thundering hooves. He beckoned to the others to follow him as we hid behind some rocks.

A large group of horses and horsemen thundered past us over the brow of the hill. Aragorn came out of hiding, followed by the rest of us, 

"Riders of Rohan!" Aragorn called, "What news from the Mark?"

The leader raised his spear and the horsemen circled round and galloped back to where we were, and circled round us, spears drawn.

The leader rode through the men, and stopped in front of us. "What business does an elf, a man, four women, and a dwarf have in the Riddermark? Speak quickly!"

Gimli stepped forwards, hands on the top of his axe, "Give me your name, horse-master, and I shall give you mine."

The leader dismounted from his horse and walked towards Gimli.

"I would cut off your head, Dwarf, if it stood but a little higher from the ground."

He and I quickly drew an arrow each, and aimed for the leader's head.

"You would die before your stroke fell." I spat.

The Rohirrim pointed their spears harder at us. Aragorn stepped between us and the leader and pushed our arms down. We were both still glaring at the horse lord.

"I am Aragorn, son of Arathorn. This is Gimli, son of Gloin. Cylarixiene, daughter of Gandalf. Raenzia of Lorien, and Hyacinthia, her daughter. Legolas of the Woodland Realm. And Théodwyn of Rohan. We are friends of Rohan and of Théoden, your king.

"Théoden no longer recognizes friend from foe." He took off his helmet, he bore a great resemblance to Wyn, and I recognized him as her cousin, Éomer, "Not even his own kin." He motioned for the Rohirrim to raise their spears. "Saruman has poisoned the mind of the king, killed his heir, and claimed lordship over these lands. My company are those loyal to Rohan. And for that, we are banished. The White Wizard is cunning. He walks here and there, they say, as an old man hooded and cloaked. And everywhere, his spies slip past our nets."

"We are no spies." Aragorn shook his head, "We track a party of Uruk-hai westward across the plain. They have taken two of our friends captive."