Chapter Ten: Pippin was Curious and I almost get Found Out

We stayed the night in the hall, I had seemingly just fallen asleep when I heard Merry yell,

"Help! Gandalf help!"

Many of us shot up, and saw Pippin struggling with something in his hands, He and Aragorn burst into the room.

"Help him!" Merry cried again.

Aragorn took the... Palantír?!?! from Pippin, struggled briefly with it and dropped it on to the floor. It rolled away. Merry dodged it as it rolled still further.

"Pippin!"

Vithrendir ran after the Palantír and threw a blanket over it.

"Fool of a Took!"

I looked to see Pippin lying still with his eyes open.

"No."

I ran to Pippin's side, gently shoving Merry out of the way. I held Pippin's hand, put his other hand on his forehead and closed my eyes. I muttered an incantation under my breath and moved my hand to Pippin's cheek. Pippin jumped, gasped and woke up.

"Look at me." Pippin looked at Vithrendir.

"Gandalf, forgive me!" He closed his eyes again.

"Look at me! What did you see?"

"A tree, there was a white tree in a courtyard of stone. It was dead. The city was burning."

"Minas Tirith? Is that what you saw?"

"I saw, I saw him!" My eyes widened, "I could hear his voice in my head."

"And what did you tell him? Speak!"

"He asked me my name. I didn't answer. He hurt me!"

"What did you tell him about Frodo and the Ring? Or of your company?"

Pippin said nothing, I assumed that meant he didn't say anything, and I sighed in relief.

***

"There was no lie in Pippin's eyes." Vithrendir said. "A fool but an honest fool he remains. He told Sauron nothing of Frodo and the Ring. We've been strangely fortunate. Pippin saw in the Palantír a glimpse of the enemy's plan. Sauron moves to strike the city of Minas Tirith. His defeat at Helm's Deep showed our enemy one thing. He knows the Heir of Elendil has come forth. Men are not as weak as he supposed. There is courage still. Strength enough, perhaps, to challenge him. Sauron fears this. He will not risk the peoples of Middle Earth uniting under one banner. He will raze Minas Tirith to the ground before he sees a King return to the throne of men. If the beacons of Gondor are lit Rohan must be ready for war."

"Tell me!" Theoden demanded, "Why should we ride to the aid of those who did not come to ours? What do we owe Gondor?"

"I will go!" Aragorn volunteered.

"No!" Vithrendir disagreed.

"They must be warned!"

"They will be." He spoke in a low voice to Aragorn, "You must come to Minas Tirith by another road. Zhyraenzia knows it. Follow the river. Look to the black ships." He turned back to the res of us, "Understand this, things are now in motion that cannot be undone. I ride for Minas Tirith," He looked at Pippin, "And I won't be going alone."