Chapter 1

The simple truth about Jane was, she'd stopped caring. Not about anyone or anything in particular, but about everyone. Everything. Most of all, herself.

Somehow, several years had gone by since her last failed relationship. Her hair grew long, grey at the roots. Her body became soft, and not in the good ways. Her mind, still agile, always agile, no longer drifted to happy times or happy thoughts, it simply performed the perfunctory daily functions and shut down at night.

These had become her coping mechanisms. If she turned every emotion off, she didn't have to face the overwhelming negative emotions. Her previously buoyant, joy-filled life slipped away before she could even realize what was happening, much less do anything about it.

She'd never have noticed, probably never would have even stopped to evaluate the passage of time or life, if it hadn't been for a co-worker's completely out of character invitation one afternoon.

"Jane," Ivy whined, "I need a fix."

Ivy seemed to vibrate in front of Jane, as if these words held some meaning for her.

Jane's eyebrows shifted together as she looked up. "What?"

"Have you heard a word I've said to you all week?" Ivy asked. "I've been telling you about the new bakery around the corner. Besides, I can't handle another second of Dwayne leering at me. Come on, we're getting out of here."

Ivy gathered Jane's purse and jacket before she could even protest, and the two of them were walking quietly in the blustery cold. Jane's mind seemed to be working in overdrive, this mid-afternoon diversion from her typical day throwing everything off track. She worried about how she'd complete her tasks, cross things off her list, and get everything done before she had to go home.

Her mind went blank, however, the moment the bakery door opened and the warm, sugary vanilla scent hit her. She'd never smelled anything as intoxicating as the small shop, and once they'd ordered and sat, Ivy began talking... but Jane's brain simply marinated in the bliss of her surroundings.

When they left, Ivy's fix sated and Jane's new addiction forming, the shop owner gave them one last wave and smile. They might not have taken much notice of Ava, but Ava was fascinated by the two women, wondering about them, envious of their friendly connection, and extra curious about one of them in particular.

Over the next few months, Ivy and Jane made at least weekly treks to the bakery. Jane's mind unwound, unfroze, and her life seemed to steep itself in color again. Mostly, Ivy noticed, she talked more. In the sugary haze of their shared treats, Jane rediscovered herself and began to share.

It wasn't so much that the cupcakes magically solved every problem, but somehow, the whipped sugary frosting and light, airy cakes had provided something both women desperately needed: girl time. Each time they escaped work, it got a little easier to leave the office behind and just be friends. The reconnection gave Ivy a safe place to talk about her nerves surrounding her upcoming wedding, and Jane a chance to simply process and talk.

Each week, it also gave Ava a chance to watch, observe, and learn more about the women. She'd seen the near-blinding diamond on the platinum blond's finger, and secretly smiled at the lack of such adornment on the brunette's left hand. Several times, she made busywork around them, wiping down tables and clearing dishes. Sure, she had employees for that sort of thing, but she found herself drawn to them. Drawn to her. Not in the creepy serial killer way, she would never cross any boundaries or lines (there had been no Google-stalking), but there was something about her. Something that made Ava nervous and excited.

Ava knew each of their favorites, memorized the table they always sat at, the beverages they drank. Every single frivolous detail she could absorb or overhear about them, she did. She longed, however, to know more. Ached, even. Just being in the same room with the woman made her day. Ava was a generally happy and upbeat woman, but her sightings of the brunette sent her spirits soaring even more each time, even though Ava picked up on the deep sadness she held.

Watching them both unfold before each other in the small shop had been a wonderfully unexpected treat for Ava. Though she attended to other customers, she never failed to be available for them when it was their turn to order, and she noticed how the brunette, who she came to know as Jane, bloomed before her.

The very first visit to the shop, Jane had hardly made eye contact. She wasn't rude; quite the contrary, actually, she was very polite, but just sort of there. So Ava was startled the first time Jane looked up at her. She'd grown so accustomed to simply looking at the strands of hair as they fell around Jane's face. There was no way for Ava to hold in the smile at the sight of Jane's eyes, the tiniest hint of happiness forming around her pupils as the women silently connected.

It took Ava a few weeks to work up the courage -- she had no idea if Jane was even interested -- but finally, she did it.

She waited until the women were clearly winding down and getting ready to leave, surely headed back for work.

"Hey," Ava said, approaching the table. "I made these for you. You know, to tide you over for the weekend." She took a deep breath, trying to contain her nervousness. "It's a long weekend, and well, we'll be closed on Monday, and I know the cinnamon crunch is your favorite flavor. So. Yeah."

She set the box down next to Jane with a smile, and quickly walked away. Jane and Ivy shared a look, and giggled as quietly as they could.

"I guess we know who the favorite is," Ivy said, laughing.

Jane, oblivious as ever, simply shrugged. She grabbed the box, though, and her heart beat just a bit faster at the idea of the beautiful woman having thought of her. Maybe she just knew what a sugar addict Jane had become, but still. It was a lovely gesture, and Jane couldn't remember the last time she'd been given one of those.

It would take several more hours, until Jane got home and had dinner, for her to realize that not only was there a cinnamon crunch cupcake in the box, but there were 3 other unique cupcakes. And a note. With Ava's phone number.

Jane stared at the paper, stared at the words describing the cupcakes Ava had made just for her, based on the cupcakes she'd ordered over the last few months. Her thumb moved across the paper, almost caressing it.

She wondered what to do. Was it too soon to text Ava? Did she need to play it cool, or wait some acceptable amount of time? Who determined that amount of time, anyway? Were the rules different these days? It had been so long.

After a shrug, Jane picked her phone up and checked the time. It wasn't too late yet, so she took a chance, quickly typing out a "Hi, this is Jane. :)" and pressing send.

Then the wait began.