Chapter 16

We stay there for a few minutes, like fifteen-year-old kids kissing in the basement, afraid someone might find us. It's slow, achingly slow, but not chaste. Her tongue slides against mine as her body presses against me in the right ways. Her knee wiggles between my legs and I'm definitely not about to give the neighbors a show, even though I hate the idea of anything but being in this exact position.

When Ava slides her hands up my back, I realize they're under my shirt. I'm hot and sticky, but she isn't deterred. She seems to come to her senses as she reaches the band on my bra, and I smile against her mouth.

"Sorry," she says, pulling back a little and laughing.

"Nothing about that was anything to apologize for."

I lean down and kiss her again.

"Can I see you soon?"

I'm glad she's brought the subject up, and it's not just me pining away to see her. You'd think I'd have picked up on the fact that she likes me as much as I like her by now, but alas.

"Yeah, of course."

"Tell your mom I said goodbye?" Her eyes are wide and so full of emotion. I can tell how much she loves Carol already, and that makes me thrilled.

I run my fingers through her playful blue hair one last time before I open her car door.

"She probably won't stay much longer."

Ava gets situated in her car and nods a bit.

"I'll text you tomorrow?"

The smile on my face is a reply enough, and I watch as she starts her car and drives away. When I'm back inside, I see Mom has washed the ice cream bowls and utensils and is puttering around the kitchen.

"I need to get some sleep soon," I say quietly. "You going to take off in the morning?"

"Oh," she says, her voice full of signature-Carol mock surprise. "I guess I could? You feeling more settled?"

She turns and faces me and she's masking the joy on her face about as much as the shock in her voice had been.

"I know, I know. She's great."

"She really is," Mom says, grabbing my hands. "But honestly, if you're not in a good place, you know your father can take care of the dogs as long as I need to be here. Heck, I could stay until the wedding..."

This provokes a laugh from me. "No, Mom. I love you, but I want you to go back to your life. I'm a grownup."

"Just checking."

There's a pause of quiet between us, my hands still in hers, and I can feel her warmth and love wrapped around me.

"Love you, Mom. Goodnight."

"Love you, kiddo." As I walk away, she starts talking to herself. "I can't wait to email Ava and give her my thoughts on this hot fudge. Damn."

I walk to my room thinking about the dress for Ivy's wedding hanging in my closet, and what Ava might wear, if I can work up the courage to ask her to go with me. She doesn't feel like a dress or skirt girl. The thought of her in a suit gets me even more wound up than the kissing earlier, and I consider a brief cold shower. But if I do that, I'll fall asleep with wet hair and wake up with a giant nest, so I decide to try and sleep.

My clothes hit the floor and I slide into bed without my usual pajama pants and tank top on, then suddenly realize that's a bad decision. The cold of the sheets as I slide in brings every part of my skin alive.