Chapter 5

The rest of the week, we text back and forth. I find out Ava has an aunt she's close to. Sort of a second mom. I tell her all about my family, my brothers and my crazy parents who I love fiercely. I'm grateful for the time to get to know her instead of diving into more out of lust and not a genuine connection. I don't want a one-night stand, or even a few week flameout.

By the time Friday rolls around, though, I'm a ball of energy. And by energy, I mean hormones. I can't wait to see her, having resisted going to the bakery any more during the week. We agreed to meet at the restaurant for dinner, with her packing a bag for a potential overnight stay, depending on how everyone was feeling.

I get to the restaurant before her, grateful that I'd brought a change of clothes and my makeup bag with me to work so I could freshen up. She walks in wearing a pastel short-sleeved button-down and jeans, her blonde hair spiked, and I'm pretty sure there's drool coming out of my mouth.

"You look gorgeous," she says, kissing my cheek.

She smells like Heaven and I smile. "Thank you. So do you."

The hostess takes us to a square table and we sit down next to each other. We maneuver our hands to find the other's and I try to focus on what she's saying, but my attention is very distracted by the shape of her mouth and not the words it's forming, but rather what I wish it was doing instead. I still pay attention, of course, but there's a base level distraction wiggling in my brain. The hours pass in a blink, our legs tangled together between the table legs. There hasn't been a moment that our bodies haven't been touching in some way.

Ava yawns discreetly. "Sorry," she says, waving her hand.

My foot nudges hers. "Don't be. Consequence of your livelihood."

"I just don't want you to think I'm bored."

"Nah."

We grab the check and after an awkward moment deciding who will pay (I win; this time, she's quick to clarify), we have an awkward moment at my car.

"Do you want to come over?" I ask, looking down at the ground, trying my best to be charming and coy instead of desperate.

"I do. I really do. I was afraid you'd changed your mind," she says, smiling. "I'm not sure how late I'll be able to stay awake tonight, but there's always tomorrow? I have other people staffed at the shop, so I can take the day off."

I nod, mile-wide smile on my face, and she leans in to kiss me. Her arms wrap up into my hair and I let out a soft moan as her lips continue to meet and tease mine. Her tongue darts out quickly to lick my upper lip, and she gently sucks my lip between her teeth and bites, then lets go.

"Quick, get in and drive. But be safe."

She practically shoves me into the car and closes the door. I'm laughing as I start the ignition. I drive as fast as I can, but still safely. I suspect she needs to follow me, not quite knowing the route to my house from the restaurant we were at. When we arrive, I park in the garage and run inside quickly to let her in the front door.

"Hey," I say to greet her.

She doesn't answer, just smiles and pushes me inside, up against the wall, then kicks the door closed behind her.

"I've thought about this all week," she says between kisses. She moves her hands to lift the hem of my blouse, and it hits the ground in a whoosh.

"Me too."

Clothes continue to fall to the ground as we make our way to my bedroom and up onto my bed.

Ava stops and rolls to her back, her eyes closed, moaning. "Fuuuck. This bed is entirely too comfortable. I'm going to be asleep in no time."