Chapter 6

True to her promise, the next day, Ava leaves for work without disturbing me. I wake up surprised, since it often feels like every little noise can startle me awake at night -- she must be very stealthy. It's just me and Cat. Always Cat.

I'm not sure when I'll hear from Ava next, so I set about doing my usual weekend stuff and try to put things to the side. I mean, it's possible she only wants a weekend thing, so who knows where this will all end up.

Picking up my phone, I text Ivy.

Movies?

She practically texts me back immediately. Are you psychic? I was itching for something to do outside of this house.

I laugh.

Must be such torture living in Matt's McMansion bachelor pad. See you in 20?

I toss my laundry in the dryer and jump in the car to meet Ivy. It doesn't really matter to either of us what's playing at the theater; we'll get popcorn, a gut bomb of sugary goodness to share, and a giant soda and be happy watching almost anything. After, there's a bar upstairs that I'm sure we'll make good use of.

We go through our usual routine of me getting the tickets and Ivy getting the snacks and drinks. For two blissful hours, I get to escape from everything on the planet. It's exactly what I need, and I immerse myself in it entirely, not letting any of the real world bullshit in.

"Drinks?" I ask as the lights come back up in the theater.

Ivy checks her phone and makes a face. "I might have to go. You okay?"

I nod. "Yeah, totally."

I'm not quite sure what's gotten under my skin, but I know that I'll be fine. Something just feels ... restless. Unsettled. It's itching at my belly, but I can't place it.

"See you tomorrow," she says, hugging me tight.

"Tell Matt I said hello, and he still owes me that whiskey."

As much of a sporty man's man bro as Matt can be, he's still one of my favorite people. When he and Ivy met, there was a weird dance of jealousy from both sides, but we found our friendship rhythm and things have been great since.

Once I'm home, I text my therapist to book my next appointment; it's been too long. Cat and I curl up on the couch for some quality Netflix time.

What day is it?

I consider for half a second that she might be serious.

That rough of a day? I hit send and imagine her working all day, flour in her hair and selling lots of cupcakes.

Yeah

Poor thing. Anything I can do to make it better?

Nah

I'm surprised and honestly a little disappointed when that's all I get back.

Well, let me know if you change your mind

It seems like the right thing to say, although it's not what I most want to say. What I want to say is: Come over, I'll rub down your sore and aching muscles. I'll run a hot bath and pour a scotch. I'll make you come, then tuck you in, all before 7PM.

Ava doesn't text me again, and that pit in my stomach is growing. I roll over what I've done and said in the last day and a half to have fucked this up again. Maybe I was too much, too fast? I know I can be a lot for someone, my enthusiasm tends to get the best of me. But it never felt that way when we were around each other.