CHAPTER NINE

sweet dreams were now nightmares, nightmares now felt like reality, fragments of reality that haunt me every waking day and night.

Every single day I had nightmares, a playback of the past.

Dr. Chase told me that they were suppressed memories.

My memories.

And in those memories I saw everything, I saw my mother, her death, her killer, my father. My father killed her.

I saw a roaring fire that blazed through the shelters, I did it, I caused the fire. I also shot someone.

I saw Dave, our moments together, we were friends.

But why did I feel like this, I felt like I was just watching it all,  I was numb, I felt numb like I was watching a film that I had seen a thousand times without sound. Without emotion.

I didn't feel anything, nothing at all.

Dr. Chase was the only real thing right now. She told me she raised me when my parents died. I think I believe her, why else do I feel like I know her like I can trust her.

A week ago, they let me out of my room. I walked about the hospital's compounds, it wasn't a large facility, no far from it actually.

It was a house, a large house. The rooms were wide,  there was a kitchen, a sitting area a garden, a patio with rocking chairs.

It looked familiar. They say that it's home, I remember it as home. This is my home.

Shawn Beatrice Tommy, Noah
Jacob Caleb Sarah. Seth 

Those names came to mind again, what are they, I couldn't get rid of them from my head, they just kept popping up over and over and over.

And what comes after that was a splitting headache.

I sighed and opened my eyes. I was in bed, I'm always in my bed.
I sat up and folded my legs, Then I stare out at the window.

I loved the view from my bedroom, It's peaceful, sometimes I get bored, other times I just embrace the silence like an old friend.

"Adam, Hunny your awake," the cheerful sound of Dr chase's voice brought me out of my trance.

She smiled at me, I couldn't help but smile back.  She walked towards me and patted my head then sat beside me on the bed. 
She does this only when something new will happen.

Last week was when she came by she came to explain that she was putting me on some new medication.

The week before that was to tell me that a psychiatrist was coming to check on me, then there was also the counseling, the photos to jog my memory.

And the week before that was a blur. My past was a blur.

"I've got good news there's someone here who wants to talk to you, it's okay, he's been really worried about you."

I gave her a questioning look but she just kept smiling at me.

Did I know anyone? , the nurse never talked to me, neither did the other servants in this house the only person I knew and talked was her, only her.

The door opened, I felt a little jolt of anger. I don't know why but every time a door opens I get mad.

I met a pair of familiar grey eyes. I knew those grey eyes, I knew them from the flash of memories that haunt my nights.

" hey, how are you doing." his voice was low yet soft and sorrowful.

I could trust him, he's my friend, my memories can't be wrong, I could trust him.

Stop being so scared Adam his your friend, his your friend.

"I've been better. " I said my voice horse.  I held on to the sheets till my knuckles were pale and bit the inner skin of my cheeks, a cold sweat ran down my face but I couldn't wipe it,  I don't trust my hands not to shake.

"I should leave you two boy's alone."

"Okay mum, " Dave said, as he placed his large body onto the couch in front of my bed.

Mum? Dr. Elizabeth Chase was his mother?

She kissed Dave's forehead lovingly and left the room.

An awkward silence filled the room.

"mum? " I asked, cutting through the growing tension in the room.

" Yeah, you don't remember that? Mum said you're having trouble remembering stuff,"

"Y-y-yeah," I stammered.

And there was silence again, and we just sat in it.

Him at the couch, me on my bed.

"Do you know?" I asked trying to sound casual, but my voice betrayed me. He turned his head towards me his eyes emotionless.

"What happened?" he asked. I nodded.

He sat up straight and scanned the room, anything to keep his eyes away from me.

"It was my fault," he said, " I did this to you. I was going on a mission to the shelters, and you wanted to come, I should have said no but you were so damn persistent. the anarchists attacked and you got hurt real bad. I'm sorry Adam,"

He kept looking at the floor now, he was trying to avoid me, his shoulders were slouched, I stared at him. he was tall, 6,2 perhaps, he did look like he was my height but except I was thin and he was more built, leaner. more like a gladiator . his hair though was no way near the same as mine, he had golden-haired just like Dr.  Chase, mine is black, a dull and gloomy color compared to her.

Why am I doing this? why am I comparing myself to him?

"It's okay, it wasn't your fault," I whispered

he had heard me though, his head shot up like and his eyes met mine.

in his intense gaze laid an expression that I couldn't place but it was gone before I even knew it.

"You have no idea how much that means to me, Adam. Thank you."

I nodded.

he stood up and came near my bed, my heart felt like it wanted to burst out of my chest.

whats wrong with me his my friend my friend!. I should not be feeling like this.

" when you get better you can  join the training again okay?"

training?

"I'm now. "

He stooped just a foot away from the door, we stared at each other, him in disbelief and I blankly at him.

"fine," he said. "but only if mum allows, I'll go ask."

And then he left.

Training, training, training!!!!
What the hell were you thinking Adam.

I scolded myself I didn't remember anything about, fighting, judging by my body, I don't think I have any training.

I'm tall for my age but I don't have any muscle, zero, non at all. Why did I say that?  Am I that desperate for a little bit of human interaction that I can just throw myself to the wolves like I'm fresh meat.

What did I just get myself into!