Night Terrors

(Warning: mature content, foreboding to physical and mental abuse as well as home trauma, discretion is advised).

"Lucy-Lu..." she heard him calling her.

She continued to hide in her closet; trying to stop her breathing from being as loud as she thought it was.

"Lucy I swear I'm not angry darling.." he coaxed. "I promise. If you come out now, I wont do anything." he admit. Lucy held her knees close to her.

"But if you don't come out..." he added.

Her heartbeat pounded fast.

"Well. I can't promise the same kindness.."

She heard his footsteps get closer to the door. Out of fright she squeaked. The footsteps stop and turned to the door. She stayed perfectly still.

It was dead quiet for what felt like forever.

Then all at once, the door was thrown open and she was pulled out by her hair. "There you are Lucy-Lu!"

"No!" she jolted out of her bed; almost falling out. Lucy looked around trying to place where she was. Home, she was home. She didn't want to be home.

Lucy quickly got up and slipped on her sneakers before walking out of the house and into town. She hurriedly lightly jogged up to Luke's Diner. She banged on the door hoping that Luke was awake. He was a light sleeper anyways, and this wasn't the first time she came to him for night terrors.

This was just the first time he never answered. 

She cursed under her breath. "Please..." she said to herself. She banged on the door once more. The lights came on, but it wasn't Luke. It was Jess. A tired Jess. His hair was disheveled and sticking up in different directions. He rubbed his eyes and opened the door. "Do you have any idea what time it is?"

"Where's Luke?" she asked desperately; her eyes still wet from fresh tears. 

Jess opened his eyes and looked at Lucy's disrupted facade. "..Out on a fishing trip." he answered.

"Shit.." she said barely audible under her breath. She was shaking. Jess couldn't tell whether or not it was because she was in just her pj's in 40 degree weather, or because she was really spooked about something. He sighed, "Look, I know Rory is holding a study group-sesh at her place, if you go over there, I'll be over in a second okay?"

"W-what are you going to do?" she asked.

"Don't worry, just go." he said.

Lucy was hesitant before she took a step in the Gilmore House's direction. When she finally made it over there she knocked on the door. Rory opened it. "Lucy? What are you doing here?"

"Could I please hang out here for a second..? Just until Luke gets back from his fishing trip?" she asked; not looking too well. "Rory? Who's at the door?" she heard another feminine voice say.

"Come in." Rory told Lucy. She nodded and held her arms close to her before walking inside. She sat down on the couch in the living room; holding herself close in a ball. "Can I get you anything?" Rory asked awkwardly. Lucy thought before shaking her head.

"Rory, one more hour of studying please," another girl walked in from the kitchen. The girl stopped. "Paris," Rory said, "This is Lucy, my neighbor."

"Are you sick?" Paris asked. Lucy frowned, "No." she replied. "You look sick." Paris said before looking at Rory, "I have a stethoscope in my backpack, I could check--"

"--No Paris that isn't necessary." she assured before having her go into the next room. Then there was the sound of the doorbell. Rory went over and answered the door. Lucy could've sworn that she heard Jess. He was really quick, Lucy thought. She got up and went to the door to see him. "Where should I put this?" he smiled.

"Well-"

"Kitchen?" he interrupted Rory before letting himself in and walking to that destination. "God this could feed 12." Rory said.

"Are you kidding me? I've seen you eat." Jess said.

"Fine 6." she said.

"Well I didn't plan on how long your mother was going to be out. Besides," he grabbed a slice of pie and handed it to Lucy. She looked at him before taking it. She felt it was still warm. Looking at all the food Lucy was surprised that this was made up all last minute. Did Jess really do this? It must've been him, Luke was out fishing. "I figured you guys could you some food." Jess finished.

"So how come Caesar didn't bring this over?" Rory interrogated. 

As they were having their little conversation Lucy went unnoticed in going to the other room. She set the pie down on the coffee table before resuming her fetal position on the couch.

Those stupid night terrors, she thought, if Luke had just been there when she needed then she wouldn't have gone through all this trouble with Jess and Rory. She felt so uncomfortable being this vulnerable and being around people. She checked the time on the clock nearby. It was only 6:30. Serves her right for trying to get some sleep earlier.

The eating in the other room and conversations went on for another half an hour. Lucy sighed. Why couldn't Luke come back sooner. She overheard Jess and Paris getting into a discussion carrying hate about Jane Austen and Jack Harrowack. After getting a phone call Rory went into the room Lucy was in.

Lucy got up and went over to Jess to give Rory some privacy. The phone call sounded urgent. "..Did Luke tell you what time he would be back around?" Lucy asked Jess politely. Jess looked at her. "No he didn't. Look, Lucy you should sit down and eat. Relax okay?" he asked. Lucy looked down briefly before walking away back to the couch. She laid down again; trying to get some shut eye.

Only to find moments later, Rory was trying to kick Jess out.

"Ow!"

"What?" Rory said.

"I think I twisted my ankle. I should probably go lay down." Jess said faking it. "Jess." she said pushing him out. "Oh come on, you're no fun when you're tense." he said as they got to the door. Jess stood in front of it; preventing her from opening it, "You sure you want me to go? Cause I think all of this could be solved if me and Dean just sat down and had a heart to heart. He could tell me his issues, I'll tell him mine?"

"Jess." she said.

"Promise I'll speak slowly." he said with a fake consideration. "Goodbye." Rory said; shoving him out. Lucy got up quickly to follow, but stopped when they both stepped outside and Rory closed the door behind her.

Lucy looked down uncomfortably. She rubbed her arms before taking the back door out and hurrying back to Luke's.

After Jess had his curfafle with Dean he left to go home. He sighed. Bringing over the case of food was a common courtesy to any study group going on. And besides, he was just trying to make people feel better. Especially Lucy. Man, she looked sickly, he thought. He paused. "Lucy." he said before looking back.

He was about ready to head back into Rory's house but stopped. He couldn't go back inside. Dean would have his head, and Rory would have to clean up after it. 

What did Lucy even need anyways? She seemed fine just sitting and waiting. Couldn't she do that at her own house? 

He then remembered how she had looked throughout this night. She was pale, shaking, and in clear sign of panic. He looked back at the house. Dean would still be there, and his charming nature couldn't get through the giant, not even for Lucy. 

He sighed deciding he would have to make it up to her tomorrow.

_______