Spiraling Pt. 3

"Lucy!"

"Lucy darling!"

"Lucy! Come on sugar!"

"Lucy!"

Jess looked around as everyone with a flashlight in town was looking for Lucy Miller. He bit his lip, "Lucy!" he called; cupping his hand around his mouth, "Come home!" he yelled.

"Lu-cy!" Luke called and looked at his nephew a good foot apart from him. He went back to looking around; gesturing his light around the area in front of him to get a good radius on wherever he was going.

Many had volunteered to help find the young adult ever since she had run off to god knows where just a day ago. Even her dad, James had pitched in to search. Which grant it, Jess didn't think was the best idea but he couldn't exactly prevent it.

Jess was able to get a little of a scoop as to why she was lashing out all of a sudden. Babbette and Patty mentioned she was being weird at the music store earlier, having found out her father was trying to visit. Lane said she was acting weird when she invited Lucy to her wedding before her shift. And of course James admit to meeting her in the store which sent her on her run about town. All of this must have built up and caused her to panic all at once, Jess thought.

Luke saw that Jess' "gotta find her" facade hadn't changed since he charged into the diner yesterday. He couldn't tell whether or not he should be proud of concerned, so he set himself as both until it was decided.

Luke shoved a thermos of coffee to Jess' chest. Jess grabbed hold of it and looked into it before drinking some. "Thanks." he gruffed.

"No problem." he sighed as he watched Jess drink. When he had finished Luke spoke up, "You know Jess maybe-"

"Lucy!" Jess called.

Luke sighed, "Jess maybe she skipped town. I mean, I know that's what you would've done." he said.

"Cause I've got other homes, Luke, she's just got the one." Jess said almost instantly after the thought, "Which means if she didn't go home, she definitely didn't skip town. She knows nothing else- she needs someplace familiar and secure. Someplace safe." he said as he looked around.

"Jess, it's almost been 48 hours... lets turn it over to the police."

"Those donut-munchers can't do anything. They'll file a missing persons case and then what? We'll see her every morning on the milk carton and then zip-" Jess shook his head, "If we stop looking now, there's no hope in finding her, ever."

Luke looked at him; following, "Jess, everyone's tired-"

"Then go home!" Jess snapped and turned to Luke. Luke didn't even hold it against him; looking at his sleep-deprived nephew. Jess fixed himself; relaxing his stance and rubbing his head, "..It's a small town.." he tried reasoning.

Luke sighed and looked at Jess; pitying him. He knew if it were Rory, or Lorelai, or even Jess that he would be doing the same thing. In fact, at the time when Jess had gotten into a car accident with Rory, that was him. Almost exactly. Not knowing where Jess was sent an adrenaline rush through him that would only be sedated by finding him.

Luke took the thermos back and took a long swig of the black coffee before closing it and pointing his flashlight to the foliage ahead, "Lu-cy!" he called walking forwards.

Jess followed, "Lucy!"

There was a couple of twigs cracking; like a sign of movement. Could be a deer, it crossed both Luke and Jess' mind. Could be Lucy.

They both looked at each other before hurrying over to the sound. Luke gestured a part of the search group to follow as well.

"Lucy!" Jess called.