Guardian Angels

"Hey Lucy-Lu..."

"Uhhh... it's your dad...."

"Listen I know...that I'm probably the last person you want to be hearing from...the very last."

"But um.. well let's just say the prison system works something awful. Hehe... Eh.. well."

"During my time I got to thinking..how I was never really fair to you.. I want to make it all right. If that's okay with you of course.. .. so......"

"Give me a call back.."

__________

The consistent tapping of Lucy's shoe to the ground didn't make her feel any less of a nervous rack. Although it did help her distract herself from the obvious and odious feeling of death in the building.

Why did they make hospitals so goddamn unappealing to look at. If it's gonna be a place where someone dies, wouldn't  you want the last thing a patient sees to be more pleasant that a white wall? Patients see the bright light before and after death in a hospital with these innate active bulbs they have stationed in every light in the building.

Lucy's thoughts were about to go to the uncomfortable chairs she's been having to lounge on for the last seven hours, but a man in a white coat came along and stood in front of her expectantly.

"Lucy?" He clarified it was her.

"Yeah?" She stopped tapping her foot momentarily. The doctor looked down at her, "You're grandfather wasn't damaged by the fall but by his heart going into cardiac arrest, for a man of his medical record it was a surprise that this had not happened at least a year beforehand. We can thank that he lived past expectancy.."

"Lived?" She looked at him fearfully.

The doctor looked down at his clipboard with a grievous sigh as he took his small spectacles off to address the situation a little more seriously, if possible. He looked back up at her, "We we're lucky enough to get him back on life support, but you see we only do this for patience to say goodbye to their loved ones. There's nothing we can do to improve his health, but to give him this.."

Lucy felt like she was choking on air trying to hold back her sobs. She blinked a couple times and cleared her throat, "Y-you're sure?"

"You should be proud. Your grandfathers a fighter-"

"I appreciate what you're trying to do here sir, but I'm not proud that my grandfather is dying. Okay? In fact I can't say anyone could be proud of a family member dying-especially when he's all I had left of my moth—" she took a deep breath to calm her nerves and released after a couple minutes before looking at him, "If you would please be so kind as to point me in the direction of his room I'd like to be alone with him." She said quieter.

The doctor pushed his spectacles back on and ushered her to the way of her grandfather.

Once there, she darted to the chair closest to him, pulling it up just a little closer to him like a child and sat on her knees to get even closer, if possible. She took his hand desperately in hers, clenching it for the life of her, and holding it to her chest. The doctor didn't wait and went out into the hall to give her all the time she needed.