Chapter 8 - Careful, Your Face Might Crack

The voice was gravelly and Alexander instantly knew it was not the voice of a friend. He turned around to see a tall, slender man with tanned skin standing in front of the door. His dark hair was short and well groomed, and his eyes showed no glimpse of emotion. The stranger was dressed in a skin-tight, long sleeved black top and tight black trousers. Alexander wasn't sure of the material, but it looked expensive.

Alexander would have thought this man was of great importance and high class, if it wasn't for the cuts on his knuckles or the scars on his hands. Looking closer he saw a scar across the right side of the man's face, staring at his defined cheekbone going diagonally down to his strong jaw-line. A knife mark, most likely. Not the kind of marks someone who sits behind a desk would get. This was a man who wasn't afraid to get his hands well and truly dirty.

Confidently, the stranger started to walk towards him with precise strides, this was someone who was very sure of them self. His whole body moved in a way that showed strength and self-reliance.

"I'm sorry to tell you but your father has some explaining to do. He will have to go with my colleagues, and we can't have you waiting here alone for him to come back. Can we? So if you go grab some clothing and necessities and you can come with me and we'll have somewhere safe for you to stay."

The man try to smile a well rehearsed smile and it would have been convincing, if only his eyes had shown some caring emotions. Alexander didn't like this guy one bit, to him, the guy seemed very callous. It scared him to think how many children may have fallen for this fiends tricks, but Alexander wasn't going to. A gentle voice flowed freely into his mind.

'Don't trust him.'

The voice of his talent. He knew he had a bad feeling about this stranger, but now it has been confirmed. He couldn't trust this guy. No matter what happened, he had to get away from him. Maybe if he pretended Wilbur was coming back this guy would leave. He doubted it, but it was worth a shot.

"I've lived here all my life, I'm very sure I would be more than fine here." Alexander studied the intruders face carefully. "Besides, I'm sure the family butler will be along shortly. We can both wait for father to get back."

"I'm afraid I can't allow that to happen. I insist that you come with me."

He walked over to Alexander, and grabbed his arm. His grip was strong and tight, Alexander tried to pull the guy's hand away from his arm with his free hand, but it didn't move a bit.

"Let go of me. You can't just grab me like that!" Alexander yelled, but the guy just smiled.

"I think you'll find I can. Sykes' the name, Jonathan Sykes. I doubt you've heard of me."

Alexander shook his head. Why was this guy introducing himself? It's not like Alexander really cared who this guy was, he just wanted him to let him and his father go.

"Honestly didn't expect you to, kid."

He didn't like this guy condescending him, he wasn't some idiot kid. A slight smirk appeared on Sykes' face as he saw the look of thought on Alexander's face.

"Careful, your face might crack."

Sykes looked up at the ceiling and the smirk disappeared. His mouth twisted, and he took a deep breath before looking back at Alexander, Sykes was getting agitated and he wasn't very good at hiding it.

"I'll let you get away with your cheek, this once. Seeing as you don't know who you're dealing with yet."

Alexander couldn't believe what he was hearing 'who he is dealing with'. The worse this guy was going to do was bore him to death at this rate.