- Creating the Idea

If you came to Wattpad solely to write, you might already have that perfect idea. If you've been on Wattpad for a while and you've just now decided to step on the other side, you'll need to take some time to really find what you want to write about.

To reiterate from reading, Wattpad has many genres, but it's up to you to figure out what you want your story to be about and what genre to make it. Here's a basic list of rules to follow when creating a plot.

Rule One: Create a plot skeleton

This is where you draw up an outline for your story. Setting a problem and setting how to fix it. Point A and point B. Outlining your plot won't limit your creativity. It simply helps you keep a guide to your story. Now, many people write stories without creating a skeleton. The term is called pantsing. Pantsing is when a writer begins writing without a fixed outline. You'll find a lot of pantsers in the Wattpad community. Tell us, are you a pantser? Or do you like to fully plan your story before writing? Leave a comment below! You might be surprised by what you see.

Rule Two: Flesh out your plot.

Fleshing out your with colorful characters and a vivid setting will enhance your novel and grab your readers' attention. Be sure to spend time on the little details and stay focused; nothing is worse than a good plot idea that grows ever more chaotic as the novel progresses. Stories are about change; each scene should have a turning point, with the character moving from one value to another. Does the character start out sad? They should end up angry, or happy, or downright ebullient. Each scene should push the story toward a final turning point: the resolution.

This planning might help you really get your characters set. Fleshing it out could be a simple as deciding who your characters are and what family members or friends they'll have.

Rule Three: Bring your plot to a powerful resolution.

Any plot or subplot needs a resolution (unless you've got a sequel going). You need to tie off loose ends so it might help you to write down anything mentioned that might need an explanation. Readers will pick up on plot holes!

Rule Four: End your story at a natural stopping place.

You want your ending to be smooth, not choppy and awkward. You absolutely do not want to drag your story out after the climax has come and gone. Again, if you're writing a sequel, you don't necessarily have to follow this. If the last scene of your story is your characters graduating and parting ways, have them do that. Don't have them then meet up for dinner on the same day and end it that way. That's unnecessary and readers might lose interest at the end when it should be one of the most memorable parts.

Rule Five: Make sure your characters resolve conflicts on their own.

Characters develop throughout a book. This also includes them solving problems that have occurred within the story. When problems are solved by the main characters, it helps show how they've developed throughout the novel and how they've either grown or even dissolved.

Creating a plot is not an easy task. It takes a lot of planning and for a GOOD plot, the right research. One thing to note is to not have Mary/Gary Sues. These are the characters who are perceived as perfect. Nobody wants that, people want characters they can relate to just a little. They also want to read something that's at least a little realistic.

For a long time people would constantly say, "This is Wattpad" as an excuse for, dare I say, bad writing. Just because you're writing on a mostly free site does not mean that you have to write bad or write cliche.