Chapter Nine: The Plan

"I think our main goal is only to find a way out of this place." Jason said. "Up until this point, all we've been doing is surviving. But now that we found Reagan, I think we're ready to start figuring a way out." 

"I agree. What do you think?" Adrian asked, turning to me.

"I think we definitely do need to get out of here, but what about my partner Ella? I wouldn't feel right just leaving her down here. Even though I just met her, I couldn't just leave without her and feel fine about it." 

Adrian and Jason were quiet for a moment. 

"You're right. We need to find her before we leave." Adrian finally said. "Don't worry, we'll talk about how to do that in a minute. Right now I think we need to lay out some other details."

He looked over at me and Jason to see if either of us disagreed. I kind of got the feeling that Adrian would be the director of the entire operation. When neither of us said anything, Adrian continued talking.

"Escaping the facility is our main goal. But in order to do that, there are loads of smaller details that need to be worked out in order to accomplish that goal. Getting out of here isn't going to be an easy feat. Luckily, Jason and I have been here long enough to already kind of know what we have to do and how to do it. Now, our first order of business is: how do we get out of here?" 

He paused again and looked at us. I wasn't sure if he was asking a rhetorical question or if he genuinely didn't know the answer, so I just shrugged. 

"The only way out of here that I know of is by elevator. Except that poses a slight problem; Jason and I discovered that most of the elevators to the surface are either broken or not functioning. If there are any elevators that in fact do work, then they are no doubt under the control of Elsa. The second we press any sort of button she'll figure out where we are and who knows what will happen from there."

"Then really the only ways I can think of is to somehow sneak past Elsa undetected, or find a to either permanently disable her, or at least alter her programming in a way that will allow us to escape." I said.

"Yes!" Adrian said, looking pleased with my words. "That's exactly what I was thinking. Jason, could you grab me a pen and a notepad or piece of paper?" 

"Sure." Jason said, standing up and walking over to the desk on the other side of the room. He pulled open one of the drawers and reached inside. Then he shut the drawer and grabbed something off the surface of the desk. He walked back over to us and handed Adrian a pen and a small notebook filled with yellow lined pages. Adrian pulled the cap off the pen and began scribbling on the first page. 

"Right. I made a list of everything we have to do in order to reach our goal." He said when he had finished writing, turning the notebook around to display his writing. At the top of the page were the words Escape the Facility written neatly in blue ink.

"This is our goal." He said, tapping the words with his pen. "And these are the things we have to do in order to leave."

Underneath the heading were three lines. Underneath each line was a sentence. 

Find way of escape (most likely elevator).

Find Regan's partner Ella.

Find way to disable Elsa.

"Okay. Here's what I think we should do." Adrian said, lowering his arm. "We need to explore the facility a little more. Right now we have almost no information. If we look around a little, maybe we can find a map of the place or something that could potentially help us. It's really our only option right now."