Chapter Thirteen: The Rendezvous

Ella shifted her eyes from me to Adrian, and then back to me. 

"Reagan?" She said. "Wow. I felt like I haven't seen you in such a long time."

"What happened to you?" I asked. "The last time I saw you we were both in the test chambers. Then you just disappeared."

"Remember the voice that was talking to us? Well, she made me go through all these other tests which I guess were supposed to only be testing me and how I handled and reacted to different types of situations. I don't know, it was weird. I managed to escape through a hole in the wall and was wandering around for some time. I can explain more of that later. What happened to you?" Her gaze went back to Adrian and I realized that she didn't know who he was.

"Oh, Ella, this is Adrian. I met him after I escaped the chamber. Adrian, this is my partner Ella whom I was telling you about. Adrian and his partner Jason were also test subjects here. We were just heading back to meet with him."

"Hi Ella, I'm Lee!" Lee's voice suddenly came from my wrist. Ella looked surprised and looked around.

"Um, who...?" 

"Down here!" Lee said.

I held up my wrist to show her. "We found these watches with...personalities I guess. This is Lee." 

"Pleasure to meet you!" Lee said. "Amy, introduce yourself."

"I'm Amy." She said from Adrian's wrist. "I thought you guys told us that all the humans are dead, but this place seems to be packed full."

"There's really only four of us." I said. "Unless there are other people that we don't know about." 

I turned my attention back to Ella and studied her for the first time. She seemed to be about the same as the last time I saw her, besides having a bloody cut along her forehead. The blood had long since dried, and the roots of her hair were stained red.

"Hi, I'm Adrian." Adrian said, politely sticking out his hand and giving Ella a small smile."

Ella smiled too and accepted his handshake. 

"Hello." She said. 

"That was a really impressive entrance you had." Adrian said. Ella blushed.

"The grappling hook is the only thing that I'm actually decent with." She replied.

Yeah, besides everything else too. I thought.

I regarded their interaction, slightly bemused. When Adrian and I had first met, he had an extremely different reaction. Then again, the circumstances were a little different, but I still felt like he hadn't completely warmed up to me yet. And here he was, smiling and being all friendly towards Ella. I supposed that it was just because she had that kind of effect on people.

"Reagan and I were just heading back to meet up with my friend, like she told you. You should come with us." Adrian said. 

"That would be really great, if that's okay. I've been wandering around this place by myself for a while now." She turned to me. "And I'm so relieved to see that you're okay Reagan. I was worried about what happened to you." 

I smiled at her. "I'm glad you're here too. We were actually planning to go and find you at some point."

"Well, good you didn't do that yet, because it could've just been a wild goose chase." She said. Then changed the subject. "Um actually, do you guys have any water? I haven't drank anything since that one time when Reagan and I were in that checkpoint."

"In the time that I've been here with Jason, we found out that usually the buildings have water fountains that somehow still work." Adrian said. "There's actually one in the place we're headed to. Come on, it's this way."