Chapter Eighteen: The Eels

I was dragged through a dark tube by my foot. I desperately clawed around to find anything I could grab onto, but the tube was too smooth. Suddenly, the tube disappeared and the next thing I knew, I was flying through the air. My body slammed into something and I think I blacked out for a few seconds. The next thing I knew, I was falling. I flung out my arms as the ground rushed up to meet me. I slammed into the ground and my vision blacked out again. 

My body ached and I felt like it would be a miracle if I hadn't broken any bones. With a groan, I forced my eyes open and rolled over onto my back, feeling dazed. 

"Reagan?" Ella's voice sounded in my ears. "Reagan? Are you okay?" 

"Huh?" I murmured, pushing myself up into a sitting position. I was met with a splitting headache. 

I reached up to press the button on my headset to respond, when I froze. Right in front of me was a weird thing. It looked pretty similar to an eel, except for the fact that it was massive. It towered thirty or forty feet above me. It's long body stretched out behind it, reminding me of a fat worm. It had four short legs with razor-sharp claws. Two beady black eyes stared down at me, and thick whiskers sprouted off either side of its flat face. 

"AGHH!" I screamed, jumping up and sprinting away. Maybe I should have moved slower, so as not to startle it, but I didn't give myself time to think. It was pretty terrifying. 

"WE'RE GOING TO DIE!" Lee screamed, which didn't help my confidence. 

I ran as fast as I could around its body, but skidded to a stop when I saw the rest of the room. First of all, the room was huge. Lined up against one wall were four other creatures. Their heads were stuck through large holes in the wall, but as soon as they heard my scream, all four creatures pulled their heads out and whipped around. Everything was still for a moment, but then I heard a vicious snarl behind me and I spun around to see the first eel lunge for me. I dove out of the way and the eel slammed into one of its other comrades. Then everything turned chaotic.

"Reagan? Please answer me!" Ella's voice once again came through my headset.

"I THINK I'M GOING TO DIE!" I yelled as I pushed down the button on the headset. I sprinted through the room, weaving in between the huge wriggling bodies of the eels. 

"What?! What's going on?!" 

"I really don't have time to talk right now!" I yelled back. A huge tail came whipping towards me and I threw myself to the ground, rolling out of its path.

"Look, Adrian needs to know if you're okay and if he needs to help you."

"Tell him it's a lost cause! I don't think I can get out of here! And tell him that whatever he does, don't come-"

A tail came from out of nowhere and collided straight into me. The words were torn from my mouth as I flew backwards and slammed into a wall. Black dots swam around in my vision and everything seemed to swirl together like I was looking through a kaleidoscope. Something wrapped around my foot and dragged me away from the wall with a sudden jerk. My head slammed into the ground and my vision blacked out for a few seconds. 

I felt something sharp digging into my throat, and I forced open my eyes. 

"Goodbye cruel world. Reagan, it was nice knowing you." Lee moaned.

 My blurry vision finally focused in on one of the eels looming above me, it's claws at at my throat, pinning me down. I braced myself for it to tear into my throat, but instead, it began dragging it's claws down my throat and down to the collar of my shirt. I had no idea what was going on, but things were getting weird. I yanked out my shock rod and slammed it into the eels body, pressing down the button at full force.