1.8 | The Hatstall

A few hours later, before the arrival of Hogwarts Express at the Hogsmeade Station, students rushed to get into their uniforms.

Margaret and Hermione took their backpacks that contained their robes to the lavatories. Ginny had ventured off with another girl from her year a few minutes ago.

Harry worked on waking Ron up. He started to mumble profanities under his breath as soon as he became conscious, for being woken up in the middle of a good nap after the long patrols around the train. Harry pursed his lips to stifle a grin at his friend's behaviour, promptly dragging him to the lavatories to change.

Luna and Neville had already been wearing theirs from the start of the journey, so they stayed behind.

Margaret took off her necklace as it kept getting stuck in her medium length hair, choosing to safely keep it in the small chain in her backpack as she put on the uniform white shirt that she tucked in a grey pleated skirt that ended just above her knees. She pulled on a grey knitted v-neck jumper on top before tugging on the matching grey socks that ended right below her calf, finished with plain black ballet pumps. She'd get her tie, her scarf and the strips on her sweater according to the house she got sorted into.

For the sake of herself, she hoped it would be Gryffindor.

Margaret carried her open black robe in her bag to wear if necessary. She did not want to be overdressed and decided that she'd ask Hermione about it. Folding her jeans and t-shirt that she was previously wearing, she placed them inside her bag neatly, taking out her necklace again.

With that, she left the cubicle, spotting Hermione fixing her hair in the mirror.

Margaret tried but for some reason, couldn't find the latch of the necklace. She huffed before turning to Hermione.

"Hey, Hermione? Could you help me with this necklace, please?"

The witch nodded, approaching Margaret and taking the accessory from her. Margaret moved her hair to the side and it only took her a second to put the necklace on, securing it properly.

"There you go," Hermione says.

"Thanks. It kept getting stuck in my hair."

"That's okay. It's a pretty necklace you've got."

Margaret held up the star-shaped pendant for her to see, the emerald in the middle glinting under the lights. She smiled as she reminisced quietly. "Yeah, it's an heirloom. Both my brother and I got matching ones on our tenth birthday, seven years ago."

"It's beautiful," Hermione compliments. "Is that a locket?"

"It is, actually," she replies, opening it with ease and turning it around for her friend to see. "It's a picture of my brother and me. On the left, we had just turned ten and on the right, it was our first day of high school."

The frizzy-haired witch smiled at the sight of the two photos. Despite their small sizes, they were fairly visible, the identical siblings grinning in the muggle photographs.

Something nudged in the back of Hermione's mind and she frowned as Margaret closed the locket and placed it under her collar. Exactly at that moment, a group of three second years walked into the lavatories.

Both Hermione and Margaret were fairly early to arrive, having had the whole place to themselves until now. By the time the girls finished their hushed talks, giggling to themselves and disappearing into separate cubicles, Margaret had combed her hair and tied it into a high braid whilst Hermione had packed her clothes into her bag.

"You saw it, didn't you?" Margaret questions, breaking the silence that had fallen over them. She had opened her mind, not entirely on purpose, and had heard Hermione's thoughts about the ink. "The tattoo on the back of my neck?"