1.14 | As Told By Padfoot

The rest of the weekend was a blur of homework and more homework.

Unfortunately, since Margaret was half an hour late to meet Neville, the two of them had just decided to finish Astronomy on Sunday after he had reassured her that he was not upset. They had sat together, along with Ginny and Luna, who had left the Ravenclaw table to sit with them for an early dinner.

It was quite fun, with Ginny telling them all about the shenanigans some of her classmates were up to, whilst Luna mentioned how someone had grown little plants in jars on the terrace of the Ravenclaw tower; Neville, after much pestering from Ginny, had finally opened up about how he thought he'd be doing well in Herbology O.W.L. and then quickly added how he was probably going to fail the rest of the subjects.

Margaret promised him that she'd help him whenever she could and that it was always nice to do homework together. Neville had generously thanked her.

Ginny and Hermione, as promised, came to Margaret's dorm room later that night.

"Have I told you that I love your hair?" Ginny asks.

"A couple hundred times, yes," Margaret laughs from where she was sitting cross-legged on the ground.

Ginny giggled at her words as she brushed Margaret's straight hair from where she was sat on the bed. She wanted to braid it into a fishtail and wanted to make sure that her medium-length dark locks ended up in waves when they were let down.

"So the house-elves have been taking all the hats?" Ginny asks after a moment, causing Hermione to look up from the windowsill seat where she was knitting. 

"Hm? Oh, yeah. All the hats and socks are gone, which is why I'm making more. I was wondering about asking some students from other houses to hide some in their common rooms too," she replies thoughtfully.

Margaret bites her tongue before she could tell her who exactly was taking all the hats. She just pursed her lips and looked back down at her potions textbook that she had chosen to read to learn the ingredients for healing potions.

"Would you like to learn how to knit?" Hermione offers.

"Oh, mum has been begging me for years to do it," Ginny says. "I tried once, but it was so bad, mum thought Fred and George had set something off inside the yarn ball."

Margaret snorted at the thought, imagining a young Ginny covered in long woolly threads of yarn and an evidently horror-struck Mrs Weasley standing over her while the twins laughed.

"You laugh, but mum gave up hope after that," Ginny tells her, laughter in her voice.

Hermione pursed her lips at the thought and turned to Margaret, who backed up immediately.

"You know, I would love to; if I wasn't trying to save the world," she says, half-sarcastically, and flashes her a cheeky grin.

The frizzy-haired witch sighed, going back to making patterns. "Honestly, you two; it's not as hard as duelling."

Margaret turned her head to share an amused look with Ginny.

"Speaking of duelling," Ginny attempts to change to the topic, "it seems like we aren't going to be learning that anytime soon."

"That... that horrid, pink gorgon," Hermione mutters in distress, pausing her knitting for a moment, and Margaret took a mental note of that brilliant insult. "At this rate, we'd... never learn anything; we'd never be able to defeat You-Know-Who..."

"How's Harry been doing?" Ginny questions casually. Margaret caught the knowing look that Hermione shot towards the young Weasley.

"He has been having his detentions with Umbridge this past week," Margaret replies. "I'm just hoping he won't end up having more rows with her."